Choral members raise funds for Colorado trip

Practicing everyday since school began, the choir has yet to experience a trip and any function outside of the campus.

However, the choir will be hosting a tri-tip dinner fundraiser in order to raise money for the trips that will be taken this year on Oct. 15. Aaron Bryan, the choir director, planned the fundraiser on the same night as the Fresno State against Utah State game at Bulldog Stadium.

?This would be a great opportunity for a tailgate dinner,? Bryan said. ?The dinner can serve a whole family for $35-$40.?

As a part of the dinner, the choir is expected to help at the function. Bryan anticipates all to remain involved as the day progresses and to help clean up after the dinner. In addition, the students had to sell at least two tickets.

?I sold the minimum amount of tickets,? Micaelah Alemon, ?08, said. ?I sold one to my mom, and one to my friend?s mom.?

In contrast to Alemon, Eliza Leisle, ?07, sold the most tickets. Leisle found several family members and friends to total six sales because she wanted to contribute to the choir trip.

?A lot of my family wanted to go,? Leisle said. ?I knew we only had to sell two, but I wanted to sell more than that, because I knew the money was going to go to the choir trips.?

The fundraiser itself signals a real beginning for the choir. Besides practicing their singing during the day, the tri-tip dinner is the first function-taking place outside of school. Most feel the relief of finally being able to begin the new year.

?Everybody is pretty excited about the tri-tip dinner,? Alemon said. ?I think even the students are pretty pumped about the choir actually starting the year. I constantly think about the trip that we are going to take to Colorado Springs.?

Bryan remains optimistic about the upcoming fundraiser and has already begun thinking about another one in the spring.

?If it does well, I might have a fundraiser similar to this in the spring,? Bryan said. ?This is the first year I have done this, and I want to do it again next year. Besides the trip which is scheduled for spring, I hope the fundraiser will being in enough money to buy new choir risers.?

The first choir performance is taking place on Oct. 17 in preparation for the Fresno Pacific University Choral Festival on Oct. 20. For more information about choir or the fundraiser, email Bryan at [email protected].