Eagles triumph over Aztecs for first win

With their first win bagged, the Eagles conquered the weight of five losses and defeated Farmersville, 27-15.

Among the team?s five losses and uncountable injuries, the Eagles tackled constant adversity.

After Greg Kilgore?s, ?07, leg injury, and Brunn?s, ?08, broken toe, pinched nerve, and concussion, those who remain uninjured battled against larger and more experienced teams.

?We just couldn?t catch a break,? Eric Beneke, ?07, said. ?After all our hard work, we were playing some of the hardest teams with some of our best players on the bench.?

Though the Aztecs struggled to keep the Eagles from scoring, they were unable to compete with the Eagles?, 21-0, lead in the first half.

While only in the first quarter, J.D. Perry, ?07, replacement quarterback for Kilgore, completed a pass to Nate Weis, ?07, who went uncovered by the Aztec defense in their end zone and set the score 7-0 early in the game.

Weis led the rushers with 12 carries for 94 yards including a 20-yard touchdown in the second quarter while Chris Erikson,?07 finished with 14 carries for 74 yards and scored a 1-yard run, putting FC in the lead, 27-3, early in the fourth quarter.

?With our offensive rushing on track and a great first win, we feel confident and look to do better during the second half of the season,? John Hall, varsity coach, said.

Though the Eagle?s offense lost three fumbles and three interceptions, the defense remained solid and kept the Aztec offense from scoring until late in the fourth quarter.

Among the Eagles defensive highlights, senior Joey Montejano picked off a 65-yard interception for a touchdown to open the second quarter.

FC ended the game with 237 total yards and gave FC an overall record of 1-5 and 1-0 in the Northwest Sierra League.

The Eagles next host Firebaugh during the annual homecoming game on Oct. 14. Homecoming festivities begin at 5:30 P.M. with the JV game; varsity will knick off at 7:30 P.M. The class float competion will be during half-time but all float builders are requested to be at Clark Intermediate by 5 P.M.

?Their [Firebaugh] star quarterback is known for his passing capabilities and places second in most yards per gain,? Hall said. ?However, we hope to shut down their offense with a strong defense and control the score from the first half.?

For more information about the Firebaugh game or directions, please contact the high school office at 299-0561, ext. 5. Maps and directions to Clark Intermediate and all sports venues are in the right menu bar of this online paper under Quick Links.