Choral groups prepare for festival, competition

Singing slightly under pitch, a choral sound may be tainted by a single singer and can damage the choir’s tone. However, through diligent practice and direction, a group perfects their pieces and becomes a fine-tuned single voice.

The ensemble and concert choir will be having a performance on Oct. 20. The performance will be at the First Presbyterian Church for the Fresno Pacific Choral Festival at 8 A.M.

?Both groups are doing well,? Aaron Bryan, choral director said. ?By going to the festival we are looking for advice and suggestions. I think they will do well, but also get some constructive criticism.?

The ensemble will sing one of their more complex pieces, ?The Boy Who Picked Up His Feet to Fly.? The concert choir will perform ?Since the Last Words of David,? which is believed to be powerful and exciting.

?I think we are going to do very well,? Kim Swift, ?08, said. ?Both choirs have been practicing hard, but this festival should be a good learning experience. We will receive advice on what to work on for the future.?

In addition to her membership in the campus choir, Swift has been involved with a state evangelist choir, the New American Singers, for the past eight years.

?In the New American Singers, we travel over seas during the summer,? Swift said. ?This year I was fortunate enough to travel to Sidney, Australia, Hong Kong, China and Tasmania, Africa. During the school year we perform in malls, churches and for the marines.?

The experience of being in the New America Singers has helped Swift to improve choral skills and provides her with opportunities to travel and evangelize.

?Traveling was wonderful,? Swift said. ?I had the opportunity to share the gospel with 39 girls in Hong Kong and the experience was life changing. It is amazing how some people in Hong Kong have never heard of Jesus before.

?As far as singing goes, I learned a lot through my training in New American Singers and I am able to apply those principles to my current singing in choir.?

Travel experiences are not the only motivations that drive choral members. Pleasure also encourages many to join.

?I have been in choir since fifth grade for a concert choir at my elementary school,? Ron Blalack, ?06, said. ?I continued through jr. high and currently am involved with the high school ensemble. I continue because I like to sing and it gives me an opportunity to be with friends.?

For more information contact Bryan at 299-1695, ext. 13 or go e-mail Bryan at [email protected].