Night of the Stars returns after one year hiatus

[/media-credit] This year Night of the Stars will be held at The Manor in Madera.

Respective classes recreate favorite movies

The Spring season bring many opportunities for social gathering. One of the big events is Night of the Stars (NOTS). This year students will be going to the Manor Estate, and the theme will be Down in New Orleans.

NOTS has been around for quite a few years. Christopher Schultz, ‘91, was one of the original people that started the event. He explains why it was started and what happens at the event.

“NOTS started at Mt. Hermon Christian Camp in the spring of 1990,” Shultz said. “It was an ACSI Student Leadership Conference and myself and other students were talking with Doug Green about alternatives to a winter formal where the school didn’t allow us to have a dance. We started dreaming about remaking our movies and then hosting an Academy Awards dinner and show as part of the formal.  

“It lasted for a couple of more years before it stopped and then in 1998 Eunie McEntee and I were the Student Leadership advisors, and we decided to bring it back,” Shultz continued. “By then, we had the technology to start editing the movies professionally, and it eventually became the premiere event at Fresno Christian. We were making 30-60 minutes movies and producing high-quality films and turning the awards into an Academy Awards show.”

Each class will make a movie that they will present at NOTS near the end of the night. Each class also has directors who are in charge of the whole thing.

Freshmen

Movie: ‘Back to the Future

Producers: Blake Deffenbacher, Wesley Hinton and Braden Bell

Sophomore

Movie: ‘Finding Kyle’ (parody of ‘Finding Nemo’)

Producers: John Monke, Alex Rurik and Griffin Schmidt

Juniors

Movie: ‘Billy Madison

Producers: Daniel Chandler, Roman Endicott, and Jaden Ventura

Seniors

Movie: ‘Hunger Games

Producers: Julian Castro, Jarrod Markarian, and Clark Zhu

This year students are privileged to go to the Manor Estate. In the past years, events have been held at Wolf Lakes and The Grand 1401. Leadership advisor Robert Foshee spent time talking to the manager of the Manor Estate and was able to reserve the venue for the night of April 22.

“The owner of the Manor Estate is an alumnus of Fresno Christian,” Foshee said. “She participated in NOTS when she was in high school, and she wanted us to have the same experiences that she had. With the connection, she decided to gave us a nice discount and they will also help set up and decorated. It is a blessing to be able to go to this place and connect with a Fresno Christian alumni.”

[/media-credit] The leadership team is bringing back movies to formal after taking a break from them for a year.

First-time NOTS movie producer, Blake Deffenbacher, ‘20, looks forward to recreating a classic movie with his class. Even it can be challenging, he still enjoys working collectively as a group.

“I’m looking forward to seeing our class come together to work on this project and hopefully make something great,” Deffenbacher said. “I’m a freshman, and the rest of our group making the movie are freshmen. In my opinion, we have a reputation for not ever doing very well, and I want to prove everyone who feels that way wrong. We are inexperienced in some parts of filming and producing a movie, but we will learn. So far, we have our script written out, we have our movie cast, and we are working on filming currently.”

Christopher Schultz explains the impact the movies can have on the students involved in the filmmaking process. He also says the movies are an alternative to dancing which it not allowed at the school.

“The goal behind NOTS is that the movies entertain us,” Schultz said. “They allow us to enter into a place and time with characters that inspire us, move us and challenge us. Thanks to technology we have the ability to allow students to both experiences the production of films and also enjoy watching the accomplishments of their classmates.

“The lessons learned while trying to make a film and the relationships built as a result can be life changing,” Schultz continued. “There are many students over the years that have taken what they have learned from making movies and turned it into careers in the film and video industry. We started NOTS as an alternative to a dance, but years later it’s been a fabulous opportunity to connect and to be creative.”

Filming NOTS movies can be stressful and time-consuming. It is important to start quickly in order for the movies to get finished and submitted on time. Roman Endicott, ‘18, enjoys making the movies even though they can be a struggle.

“I am looking forward to watching the finished product as it is always satisfying when hard work pays off,” Endicott said. “The most challenging part will definitely be working around the busy schedules of everyone involved and coordinating film times. As of right now, we are wrapping up script writing and moving into the process of filming.

“I have been a part of the NOTS movies in the past,” Endicott continued. “My freshman year I was an actor in our movie, ‘The Karate Kid,’ but after much procrastinating all we had to show was a thirty-second trailer. The movies are stressful and time-consuming, but hopefully, they will add to the night of formal and provide entertainment for those who come.”

During NOTS students will watch all the movies and teachers will present students with awards. This year’s award will be as follows:

• Best Film Editing
  • Best Picture
  • Best Female Actress
  • Best Male Actor
  • Best Cameo
  • Parent’s Choice
  • Best Onscreen Chemistry
  • Most Accurate Remake
  • Most Awkward Moment
  • Sassiest Scene
  • Most Accurate Casting
  • Best Underclassmen Picture
  • Best Upperclassmen Picture
[/media-credit] Watching the movies that each class creates is typically one of the favorite parts of the night for the students.

The process of making NOTS movies can be a way to connect with your class. Kamryn Schultz, ‘19, looks forward to being with friends and having fun while filming. She also views the movies as something unique exciting to do that night.

“The most challenging part will probably be finishing it all up on time,” Schultz said. “We have a lot to cover in such a short time, and I’m nervous about our end results. In my movie, I am the character Dory, but I am also helping write our script and some filming and organizing. Right now we have the cast and script down, and we plan to film over spring break. This is my first time being apart of the movie making, and I’m excited but nervous. I’m happy the movies are back because now we have something to do at formal other than stand around and play games.”

Start asking for a date before it’s too late. Leadership students will be selling tickets daily and are available to purchase during lunch.  

To read another article check out: Physics teacher uses demonstrations to engage students.

The authors can be reached, via email: Braden Bell, via email: John Monke.