Senior nominated for prestigious athletic award

[/media-credit] Senior Juliette Davila has been nominated to receive the Senior Girl Athlete Award. The banquet will be held, April 24 at Pardini’s.

Juliette Davila selected for 2017 Senior Girl Athlete award

As the school year comes to a close, awards will be handed out to students who achieve excellence. Every year a student is selected for the Senior Girl Athlete awards. One female is chosen from each of the 22 local high schools. This year, Juliette Davila, ’17, has been nominated by Fresno Christian.

This will be the 36th annual Athlete of the Year award. Dorothy “Dottie” Rohlfing was the founder of this award. She created the award to honor top female athletes in the Central Valley. Rohlfing presented this project to the Junior League of Fresno with the help of some physical education teachers and members of a professional softball team.

From the 22 nominees, the winner will receive an additional scholarship for the Senior Girl Athlete of the Year award. The winner has to qualify as an outstanding athlete and will complete an essay that demonstrates their engagement in athletics, community service and academics.

Juliette Davila has played volleyball, softball and basketball this year. She feels honored after being nominated by her coaches and support from her friends.

β€œIt is a great honor and I’m pleasantly surprised because I didn’t think I would be nominated for the award,” Davila said. β€œI want to say thank you to all my coaches, family, and friends helped me to get to where I am. I know that whoever wins this award deserves it.”

Michelle Warkentin and the athletics department did research and decided to nominate Davila as this year’s Senior Girl Athlete of the year.

“Every year the organization ask for our nominee and I talk to the athletics department,” Warkentin said. “Jon Penberthy suggested Juliette because she played three sports and was a great teammate and leader. I looked at her grades and thought she was the best choice because of her excellence both in athletic and academic.”

The banquet will be held at Pardini’s on April 24 at 6 p.m. For more information and details of the event go to Junior League of Fresno.

For another article, read: Musical excellence leads junior high student to success in competition.

This writer can be reached via email: John Monke.