StartSmart class raises awareness, encourages safe driving

[/media-credit] CHP officer Dave Singer, made a presentation to FC parents and students on smart driving, April 24.

Students and parents met in the J.J. Room to view a Start Smart session, presented by California Highway Patrol (CHP) Officer, Dave Singer, April 24. Singer stressed the importance of teaching teens safe driving laws and techniques. The session was part of an ongoing Fresno Christian series titled Parenting Healthy Teens.

Some students that went are in the process of getting their permit or thinking about getting a permit. Megan Raynes, ‘19, attended the class because she wanted to prepare for when she does start driving. Raynes feels like she learned a lot from the session.

“There were a couple of things that I learned that are very important,” Raynes said. “I learned that the unspoken speed limit is 55 and that 60% of teens die because of not having their seatbelt on. This fact is surprising to me because I’ve been taught to do that first thing when I get into any vehicle. I would most definitely recommend going to one of these classes. I learned so much, and I am so much more aware. I think it’s smart to go before you get a ticket because that ticket can be prevented.

“My favorite part about the class was listening to Dave Singer,” Raynes continued. “He was so passionate about what he talked about that it made you want to listen. However, my least favorite part was learning that teen drivers are most likely to get in an accident.”

Throughout the session, Singer spoke about how important it is to stress the safety of teen driving. He said in California; there are four programs for teen driving and only one for adults. He also noted that it is important that adolescents know the law before getting on the road.

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/319680824″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

Singer has worked for the CHP for 16 years and the Start Smart program for the past five years. Singer also has a prior military background and enlisted back when he was 17. He wanted to serve the country because he felt very patriotic and because he wanted to do be a part of something greater than himself.

“The Start Smart program is really what the CHP is all about, our core mission is to save lives,” Singer said. “Our goal is to help educate young people so that they will become more responsible people in the long run. My family is in the farming business, and I always thought that I would go into that business but after my time in the military and being a volunteer fireman I discovered that I needed a more active lifestyle and so I thought CHP would be a great place for me.

“Not everyone loves a police officer, but our job is still very important,” Singer continued. “One difficulty is dealing with serious injuries, fatalities and the family members affected by the accidents. A lot of the time these circumstances can be mentally challenging. As far as a positive to my job, It always feels good to help people in need.”  

Singer gave the group a few tips throughout the session. His number one tip was to keep a high visual horizon. He said it is important to look down the road and not at the tail lights in front of you. Singer also said approximately 5,000 teens between the ages of 15-19 are killed in automobile accidents every year.   

A few new drivers went to the session to make sure they know everything before they become regular drivers. Amanda Grimmius, ‘19, went to learn about all aspects of driving that she was not aware of.

[/media-credit] The Start Smart program was created to encourage teen safety while they are driving.

“I learned many things from the start smart driving session,” Grimmius said. “I learned that it is important to keep a high visual horizon, looking 7-8 cars ahead, giving yourself enough time to react if something happens. I think it’s wise to take the class as a teen so you can prevent tickets all together. My favorite part was hearing from the CHP officer and learning what can happen if you are a careless driver.”

Landon Goldsborough, ‘19, took part in the class because he plans on taking his permit test soon and wants to make sure he has a good understanding of safety rules and recommendations. He enjoyed listening to the speaker but thought the session went on a little long.

“At the meeting, I learned about the consequences that just a simple small mistake on my part can have,” Goldsborough said. “All it takes is me looking away from the road for even a second or two to cause a serious collision. I would recommend the class to someone who is unsure of the rules of the road or wants to have an opportunity to ask a California Highway Patrol officer questions.

“This class should be taken as soon as possible,” Goldsborough continued. “It is important for everyone even if you can’t drive yet, as it will provide information that will prevent an accident from occurring in the first place.”

Singer ended the session by saying that most accidents happen because the driver was being selfish and to prevent accidents drivers should be selfless.

To read another article check out: Yosemite flourishes due to above average rainfall.

The author can be reached via email: Braden Bell, Instagram and Twitter.