Save it for recycling

After considering Fresno City?s request for three years to recycle, Peoples Church and campus administration have instigated a program to reach the proposed mandate.

Fresno City?s recycling program encourages all school and church employees, teachers, students, custodians and parents to participate in this opportunity to help save money and our local environment.

Over the next couple years, Peoples Church and Fresno Christian campuses could recycle up to 30% of the trash produced.

The administration decided to participate in this program for multiple reasons.

?The church pays a lot of money for all of the trash that is taken to the landfills and this recycling program will help reduce that cost,? Principal Gary Schultz said. ?Also as Christians we have to responsibility to be good citizens for our community.?

According to a recent study when campuses of this size do not recycle it can cost the school up to $7,000.

Peoples Church Facility manager, Willard Neufeld, expects that the recycling plan will affect the campus significantly and, within the next couple years, could save thousands of dollars.

?This program will only succeed if there is an equal partnership between the school and church,? Willard Neufeld, said. ?It is definitely a team effort.?

According to Willard about 5,000 people per week walk this campus, more than most public schools ion the valley.

Within the last week the student?s response has been favorably well.

?Recycling is such a good thing for our school and church,? Jordan Scott, ?07, said. ?All of my friends encourage each other to recycle, it helps our environment!?

Other students do not wish to take part in this beneficial event and would rather not help out.

?I don?t care to recycle my trash,? Josh Coccia ?08, said. ?I just throw it on the ground and they pay people to pick it up for me. It?s my right to decide.?

Acceptable materials for the recycling program include aluminum and tin cans, cardboard, paper, CDs and small wood pieces.

Unacceptable materials are food, flowers, plant materials, napkins, paper plates, cups, and clothes, and videotape cassettes.

The program started Oct. 1. The school intends to expand the program in the future.

The church and school administration have invited school groups to make a profit off this recycling program if they organize a way to help. Any group can be involved: student leadership, basketball, and the senior class. This group can earn money up to $4-500.

For more information please contact Willard at 298-8001, ex. 201
Or visit www.peopleschurch.org.