Science classes take trip to Cat Haven

[/media-credit] Cat Haven is similar to an animal sanctuary, but specializes in education and the preservation of wild cats.

Science students in A.P. biology and zoology had the unique opportunity to get up close to the animals they are studying on a trip to Project Survival’s Cat Haven, May 4. Although the temperature was reaching the high 90’s, the students enjoyed the opportunity to explore nature outside of the classroom.

Cat Haven is similar to an animal sanctuary, but specializes in education and the preservation of wild cats. They also help raise funds for conservation efforts to save endangered cats.

The president of Project Survival’s Cat Haven, Wendy DeVos, believes it is important to save cats before they become extinct.

“A lot of people come here thinking it’s just a sanctuary for abused and abandoned cats, but this place really focus on trying to help what’s happening in the wild and to help different cat species survive in the wild,” DeVos said. “We try to send money to conservations. About one third of our income we try to designate for that, that’s what I want people to know, that we have a great education program and that’s important to take care of God’s creatures.”

After getting off of the bus, students were brought into a room where they were taught how to identify different animals by examining their skulls. Students were also taught how different cats used different abilities to stalk their prey or avoid being eaten by other animals.

The interactive activity helped students better understand the cats they were about to see in person. Despite the heat, students were eager to go outside and take a look at the animals.

Zoology student Joshua Villa, ‘18, was not initially excited about the trip to Cat Haven, but found it interesting once he arrived.

“I surprisingly enjoyed my trip to Cat Haven,” Villa said. “I originally didn’t think it would be that great, I thought we might as well go to the zoo. When I got there, I was surprised to see all the rare and exotic cats that I probably wouldn’t have seen any other place.”

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/321672323″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

Lions, leopards and cheetahs were some of the many big cats that students got to see. At each pen, the group would stop and get the chance to ask questions about the animals.

A baby bobcat was dropped off at Cat Haven before just before students arrived after it was found alone. Employees let students look at the small cat from a distance and observe how it interacted with them.

[/media-credit] At each pen, the group would stop and get the chance to ask questions about the animals.

A.P. biology student Trisha Cui, ‘18, enjoyed the trip and believes other classes should take similar trips to make the subjects interactive for students.

“I was really happy to have this opportunity to go to Cat Haven with my friends and the big cats we got to see were fun,” Cui said. “They are super adorable. I believe taking trips can help you better understand what you learn at school, and the workers at Cat Haven also did great job at explain everything about their animals.”

For those who would like to support Cat Haven, donations are accepted on their website. Cat Haven can also be contacted for any promotional or school events.

This author can be reached via Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.