Seniors reflect on season end

While the Tranquility game on Nov. 10 may end the football season, the seniors? contributions will continue into next season.

?This year?s seniors have done a tremendous job in helping transform our program,” Jon Hall, varsity coach said.” They turned last year?s apathy to a positive team building experience.”

Seniors Joey Montejano, Tim Wilborn, Seth Lane, Jordan Hogue and Matt Doyle remain the team?s leaders through the highs and lows of the season.

?These players have both led the way in the weight room and on the practice field,” Hall said. “They really understand where we are at and what we are trying to do.”

While not on the football field, Montejano is beginning to hone his soccer skills while finishing his third year of football.

?Joey couldn?t wait to dust off last year?s troubles and get to work with life-minded teammates,? Hall said. ?His drive and desire to play despite multiple injuries have made a huge impression on those around him.?

Hogue and Wilborn demonstrate a combination of humor and seriousness through their work with the team.

?Jordan has shown great heart in the midst of tough situations and keeps moving in a positive direction,? Hall said. ?He has taken great pride in playing ‘going to battle’ with this grove of guys.?

Both players played all four years together and share similar memories of past games.

?My best memories during football would be beating Coast Union during homecoming my sophomore year,” Hogue said, “and the brotherhood shared between teammates.”

While some players go on to play after high school, seniors often find the game and its camaraderie hard to relinquish.

?I?m probably going to miss it,? Wilborn said. ?It?s kind of bittersweet not having anymore football games.?

With the 2005 football season behind them, seniors begin to consider how next year?s team will play out.

?They have lots of potential with many returning players,? said Hogue. ?They just have to get themselves in line.?

The team will meet one last time for an awards banquet in early December. A tri-tip dinner will be served before player recognitions and awards are handed out. The date, place and time are yet to be determined.

While determination remained the driving force for the Eagles, their Mendota rivals stayed one step ahead managing a 27-13 victory on Oct. 28.

Chris Erickson tied the score in the first on a 25-yard run and led the Eagles with 60 yards on 7 carries.

?I think we played hard, ?Erikson said. ?I think I played well at Mendota and it was awesome to score a touchdown. I hope to improve my catching for the next game.?

Hall admitted the team did not play well the first half as injuries have taken a toll this year and the team is often physically spent. But the defense made adjustments in the second half and limited the Aztec offense. Montejano agreed with his coach.

?We played hard,? Montejano said. ?During the second half we fixed the flow to the ball and played a lot better.?

FC moved the ball in the third but was unable to score until the fourth when Ryan Brunn scored on a 39-yard run on his only carry.

?We had a good game especially in the second half,? Brunn said, ?Our defense kept them scoreless while our offense put together a trick play for a touchdown.?

Quarterback J.D. Perry also ran the ball 10 times for 45 yards and Montejano finished the game with 40 yards on 5 carries.

For more information about the banquet or any other questions, please contact the high school office at 299-1695, ext. 5 or e-mail Hall at [email protected].