Promo: Cheer tryouts

Campus clinic draws new cheerleaders  

Clinics are May 11 and 12 from 6-8 p.m. Tryouts are May 13 at 9 a.m.

Tryouts for the Fresno Christian varsity cheer team (2017-2018) begin as the coaches and incoming seniors prepare for the year ahead.

The clinic on Thursday and Friday will teach those participating a cheer and a dance from 6-8 p.m. On Saturday morning, girls will perform what they have learned for judges. There will be callbacks and the results will be sent out soon after trying out.

[/media-credit] Tryouts are open to junior high and high school.

Junior Lauryn Tucker looks forward to her last year in cheer and the tryouts.

“I am excited about a new beginning and to strive to go further than we did this year,” Tucker said. “Next year I want to be able to lead the girls through not just cheer, but through anything that may be going on in their lives. Also to share what I know from cheer and pass it down to the underclassmen. I am super excited for tryouts. They’re always super exciting and it’s fun to practice with the girls who are potential teammates.”

High expectations are held for both incoming team members from junior high, other schools and returning members. Coaches also are excited about the next season.

Junior high and varsity head coach Hope Villines shares her hopes for next year’s team.

“Incoming cheerleaders should expect an amazing year,” Villines said. “We will be attending a new to FCS cheer camp at Knotts Berry Farm put on by the Christian division of United Spirit Association. Cheerleaders can also expect to put in a lot of hard work! My expectation is that we will attend a minimum of three competitions and qualify for Nationals.”

Tryouts are open to interested eighth grade through junior girls.

Incoming freshman Caleigh Alday, ’21, looks forward to tryouts and next year’s team.

[/media-credit] Girls will learn a cheer and a dance to perform at tryouts.

“I would definitely be looking forward to the growth I’ll make not only as a cheerleader but as a person. I can’t wait to shine my own light on the team and hopefully bring joy to them,” Alday said. “I hope that I will grow on the team as a mature, Godly person, sharing God’s love and perseverance. I can’t wait to push myself as a cheerleader and an individual on the team. And I also can not wait to see my friendship bond and grow with my teammates.”

Alday continued to share her expectations for high school in comparison to junior high cheer.

“Absolutely, I think it will be very different than junior high,” Alday continued. “I really think it will be different because there are higher standards that you have to meet. As an eighth grader walking into high school cheer you have to seriously bring it because you’re going to be standing next to seniors, juniors, and sophomores that have already done cheer. So, meeting that expectation is going to be difficult. More advanced stunts, cheers, and becoming a more dedicated cheerleader will definitely be a challenge, but I also see amazing friendships in high school in our cheer team.” 

[/media-credit] Tryouts begin Saturday morning at nine.

Villines shares about the requirements for tryouts.

“FCHS varsity cheer tryouts consist of a two-day clinic to learn material and tryouts are held on the third day,” Villines said. “Athletes trying out will be expected to perform the cheer and dance that are taught at clinics along with three separate cheer jumps and a cartwheel, round-off or tumbling.”

After the cheerleaders are selected, summer workouts will begin at Doc’s Gym. Workouts will focus on total body conditioning. The FC cheer will be a year-long commitment beginning with cheering at football games.

Come and try out for next year’s cheer team!

For another cheer article, read Cheerleading: An inside look.

This author can be reached on Instagram and Twitter.