JV basketball coach steps up

The girls? varsity basketball team will begin their season with last year?s JV coach, Josh Tosland as their new head coach. Tosland plans to improve the team for this season.

?To prepare for league we had summer work outs,? Tosland said. ?Having this early start will help us gain experience and gives us a chance to bond with the players.?

Players on the team find playing basketball can benefit themselves even after high school graduation.

?Playing basketball is important to me in many ways,? Ann Hawkins, ?07, said. ?It helps me stay in shape and I hope to get a scholarship so I can play in college.?

Hawkins began playing basketball in fourth grade at Saint Helen?s Elementary and from there on has gained a love for the sport.

?I think the person who most inspires me is my friend Julie,? Hawkins said. ?She plays college basketball, other than a player she can be a good friend.?

Tosland hopes the team will show sign of improvement as the season progresses.

?As the season progresses I hope we will become better,? Tosland said. ?Also while time goes by I think I will get a better understanding of the way the team works.?

The players? season expectations remain high in view of the requirements to ensure a successful season.

?I hope that we can win league this season,? Jennifer Vanden Hoek, ?06, said. ?It will require all of us to work hard and stay motivated.?

Vanden Hoek started becoming involved in basketball her fifth year and has continued to play throughout high school.

?Tosland really inspires me,? Vanden Hoek said. ?He pushes me and the players to do our best.?

The team will have an intermixed scrimmage between the boys? and girls? teams on Nov. 21 beginning at 5:30 P.M. Tickets are available from the players. The basketball teams? first pre-league game will be against Laton High School at 6:30 P.M. on Dec. 6.

For more information about girls? basketball, contact Tosland at [email protected] or contact the high school office at 299-1695, ext. 152.