Students create 9-foot burrito during class

Traditions often make up part of the lore of families, communities and cultures, and the home economics classes and teacher, Sharon Scharf, continue to contribute to campus stories.

For the six-year in a row, Scharf and the home ec students have created legendary burritos?food for the soul and a kind of eye candy for an outside observer.

?Making a nine-foot burrito is fun and spectacular,? Scharf said. ?I continue doing this because it is an exciting and continues a campus tradition.?

Scharf got the idea from La Victoria food corporation and this year created the giant-sized meal in the Jackie Johnson room on Nov. 16. Both first and second period class created separate burritos.

?I made a nine-foot burrito last year,? Whitney Stipe, ?08, said. ?It tasted really good, but it was a little difficult working with so many people on one big burrito.?

The burritos are filled with seasoned meat, refried beans, lettuce, sliced olives, chopped tomatoes, salsa, guacamole, cheese, sour cream, green onions and flour tortillas.

?Another thing that contributed to the great smell was what we put inside,? Danielle Chidister, ?07 said. ?The beans, cheeses and meat aroma filled the air.?

As students were preparing the burrito they laughed while each maintaining assigned jobs in an assembly-type preparation.

?My job was to chop and put vegetables in the burrito,? Taryn Brown, ?08, said. ?I was looking forward to making the burrito,; it was fun and it was a great experience.?

Junior Zach Bell saw the opportunity to learn how to make something new. As the burrito manager, he carefully examined the progress of others. His faith was put to the test but he pronounced the finished project a success.

?It was the best thing in the world,? Bell said. ?When it was being made, I could feel the burrito going through my veins. I watched them prepare the burrito and made sure it was made right. I was put on the earth to make this burrito and now my mission is complete.?

As the burrito neared completion, some students agreed with the idea that it maybe the best burrito ever.

?The burrito tasted fantastic,? Chidister said. ?It was the best burrito I have ever had.?

For more information regarding the nine-foot burrito, contact Scharf at 299-1695, ext. 195.