More than just principal

Many people have made permanent, lasting impressions on campus, but none more than the high school principal, Gary Schultz.

Schultz, popularly known as “Papa,” has been principal for over 25 years. For those past 25 years, he has been and model of integrity and honor for many on campus. He has taught, disciplined, educated and loved all who have shared his company.

“Personally, working under Papa has been a wonderful experience,” Jon Endicott, vice principal, said. “I am receiving some professional mentoring in the relationship that I have with Mr. Schultz. He is a teacher, and he looks to empower people around him. His real strength and gift is to work with people, empower people and listen to them.

“He’s also careful to work at having other people practice these as well. He works to make everybody feel better, and then asks how can I get other people to do that too?”

Teachers as well as administrators seem to enjoy working under Principal Schultz.

“Mr. Schultz is very easy to work for,” Scott Callisch, boys’ P.E. teacher, said. “He lets you do your job and doesn’t interfere. He instills confidence and responsibility and trusts your judgement.”

Principal Schultz seems to leave an indelible mark on campus way of life.

“He is by far one of those guys that I don’t know anybody who doesn?t love and respect him,” Chris Schultz, video productions teacher, said. “I don’t know any teacher on staff that doesn’t enjoy working for him. He has this way that he empowers people to just do better when they are around him”

Chris, Principal Schultz’s son, attended Fresno Christian from 1st through 12th grade and graduated in 1991.

Over the decades, Papa stories have collected and are a cherished part of campus folklore.

“There was a time when Coach [Jon] Hall and some of his buddies decided to T.P. our house when they were in high school,” Chris said. “Papa is a big guy, and you wouldn’t exactly think him fleet of foot. He was still awake when they tried to pull the prank.

“When the lights came on, they all scrambled and ran in different directions. Now, he like run down these high school kids and catch them in their car before they get a chance to run away. I personally wasn’t there, but from what I heard, he was flying. They were all scared when Papa put on the burners.”

For some, it may seem unusual for a son to be positive about having a working relationship with his father. However the Schultz’s use the opportunity to have quality relationships as father and son, as well as co-workers.

‘He and I have a close relationship, we always have,” Chris said. “I spent a lot of time in his office when I was in school, not because I had to, but because we enjoyed being around each other.”

Unlike most high school principles, Papa has kids in his office for more than just schedule changes or bad behavior.

“Papa has an open door policy, and he’ll pretty much always have time for you,” Chris said. “Sometimes once a day or every other day I will go into his office and for five or ten minutes just chat with him.”

The father and son duo have helped to mold Fresno Christian into an ideal sanctuary for most.

“There are so many great opportunities that I have working with my son after,” Principal Schultz said. “We get to experience so much as a father to a son, and now as principal to a teacher. I can’t say how happy I am that he has returned to teach here. It’s great.”

The name “Papa” originated when Chris was a student on campus. Many of his friends came from families without a father in the home and looked to Principal Schultz as a father figure, or a Papa.

After Chris returned to coach the varsity football team, he further encouraged the nickname by referring to his father as Papa around his players. Later, Eli Williams, ’00 student body president, started a sports chant for Papa, thereby familiarizing the entire school with the nickname.

To contact Principal Schultz, call the high school office at 299-1695, ext. 5.