Juniors triumph in powderpuff

Powderpuffjumpball
[/media-credit] After a year off the field, the junior girls returned to claim the annual powder puff football tournament trophy for the second year in a row on Nov. 18.

After a year off the field, the junior girls returned to claim the annual powderpuff football tournament trophy for the second year in a row on Nov. 18.

“I thought the juniors strong team was going to win,” Micaelah Aleman, ’08, said. “The juniors played an excellent game and finished strong.”

Despite the brutality of the senior class performance and the unknown strength of the freshmen, the juniors prevailed and won the overall competition.

“This year the juniors knew they had a good chance at winning,” Eliza Leisle, ’07, said. “The only doubt I had was we did not know what the freshman were capable of. The team had athletic players and many of them play sports.”

Powder puff is a favorite tradition for many on campus as it provides the girls with a chance to compete in a sport typically reserved for boys.

“Having powder puff gives girls an opportunity to play football,” Josh Tosland, leadership adviser, said. “Some girls do not have the chance to play football for fun or P.E. because of schedules so powder puff is their time to play.”

In keeping with tradition the seniors started the games against the freshmen while the juniors took on the sophomores.

“I think that the sophomores had a chance at winning,” Claire Kister, ’08, said. “We had some trouble with the juniors because they are strong. Plus they won last year and they had the same players again this year.”

The reverse in gender roles added to the excitement of powder puff.

“This is my first year playing powder puff,” Molly Griffin, ’09, said. “Having this event shows that we are just as good as the boys.”

While the girls battled on the field, the boys fought for control over the sidelines as cheerleaders.

“You often do not see girls playing football, but then you see how good and athletic some of the girls can be,” Miller said. “Also the guys cheerleading was awesome because I was a flyer.”

For more information about powder puff, contact Tosland at [email protected] or call the high school office at 299-1695, ext. 152.

Follow The Feather via Twitter @thefeather, Instagram @thefeatheronline and Facebook @thefeatheronline.