Convocation opens school year with worship, prayer

Jeremy Brown gives encouraging message, invigorates students

Chatter and conversation reverberated in the Peoples Church auditorium as students, teachers and families gathered to attend opening Convocation beginning the school year at Fresno Christian.

[/media-credit] Principal Amy Deffenbacher expressed her excitement for the year and dismissed students to their classes and homerooms.

Convocation opened with the worship team leading the assembly in music and praise. Daniel Garrison and alumna Gillian Rea, ‘16, and Ivette Ibarra, ‘15, led the worship. Following the songs, chairman of the board, Chris Schultz opened with prayer. Superintendent Jeremy Brown reviewed the mission statement of FC and shared his goals for the year, including living as brother to brother and sister to sister in Christ.

Brown called the students to be world changers and affirmed the staff’s enthusiasm for the upcoming year. Principal Amy Deffenbacher expressed her excitement for the year and dismissed students to their classes and homerooms.

Excited to spread God’s love, Sophia Kalugin, ’19, share how worshiping with her fellow classmates and teachers was inspiring. Kalugin also aims to to strengthen her academics in her classes in hopes of achieving better grades.

“I really liked Convocation,” Kalugin said. “I thought the worship was really good and it was just really cool to see everyone worshipping on the first day of school. I’m really looking forward to just making new friends and shining God’s light to them. I’m really looking forward to volleyball and all the different rallies.”

Joey Huang, ‘18, hopes to use her last year of high school to make memories and pursue her dream college.

“I think the Convocation was really inspiring. It gave all the students a warm welcome and opened the school year with wise words of God,” Huang said. “This year is my senior year and my goal would be to get into a very decent college, spend more time with my friends and create precious, wonderful memories.”

[/media-credit] With the conclusion of the first day, students begin to adjust sleep schedules memorize locker combinations, and receive their first assignments of the new school year.

A new student, Brayden Iest, ‘21, feels nervous about homework but plans to meet new friends and classmates.  

“I thought the opening convocation was really neat and I liked the worship,” Iest said. “I am looking forward to making new friends this year. I’m also a little nervous about the homework.”

For some, the event marked the first day of officially being an upperclassman. Brandon Brogan, ‘19, is excited to step up as one of the older students on campus.

“I thought this year’s Convocation was good,” Brogan said. “The worship was well done and Mrs. Deffenbacher and Mr. Brown had some good things to say to the students and parents. The main thing that was different was being an upperclassman. Other than that, it was pretty much the same. Being an upperclassman is a lot better than being a freshman or sophomore and it is weird that we are almost the oldest students.”

With the conclusion of the first day, students begin to adjust sleep schedules, memorize locker combinations, and receive their first assignments of the new school year.

Upcoming dates to remember are already close. Back to School night on Aug. 14, offers an introduction for parents to meet teachers and their students’ class schedules. Fall picture day will be held the following day, Aug. 15. Photo packets have already been distributed. Be sure to bring them with you.

For more articles, read Editorial: Senior year provides personal growth, mentorship opportunities.

To read about last year’s convocation read, School year kicks off with 40th Convocation.

Sam Cross can be reached via Twitter and via email at Sam Cross.

Mariana Fikse can be reached via Twitter and via email at Mariana Fikse.