Boys' soccer sport shorts, 2005-06

BOYS’ SOCCER SPORTS SHORTS–
Winter 2005/06

The boys’ soccer overall record is 7-13-1 and 4-10 in the WSL as of Feb. 10.

SEASON END

FOWLER 2, FC 1 on Feb. 10
Noe Estrada scored in the 77th minute to send Fowler to a 2-1 victory over host FC on Feb. 10 and close out the Eagles’ season. While senior keeper Derek George was out on offense, Estrada dribbled into the box and sent the winner home just before time expired.

Midfielder Ryan Taylor scored a spectacular goal early in the second half to tie the score after the Redcats’ Roberto Guerra opened the scoring early in the game. Taylor ran into space on the left side and despite a high bounce pass from Nate Weis, Taylor volleyed a roundhouse kick and bent the ball high into the far left corner of the net over the outstretched arms of the keeper.

George had a number of opportunities to score in the second half but was unable to find the net in his last game on senior night.

The goal energized the home team who pressured Fowler and stayed with the WSL leaders throughout the game except for the breakdown at the end.

Eleven juniors are planning to return to the team next season.

RIVERDALE 3, FC 2 in 2OT on Feb. 7
As the sun was heading behind the horizon, and with less than five minutes left in the second overtime, a Riverdale forward dribbled into the heart of the Eagles defense and drilled the winner home to lead the Cowboys to a 3-2 win on Feb. 7.

It looked like Fowler might run away with the game in the first minute as Riverdale scored on a corner kick that bent into the mess behind surprised senior keeper Derek George. But the Cowboys were largely outplayed most of the game by a young, energetic FC side.

“Our guys have made great strides the last month on the pitch,” coach Matt Markarian said. “We are playing solid defense for most of our matches but a couple of defensive gaffs are what beats us. But I am excited about the next year in Eagle soccer. We will only lose a couple of seniors.”

After the goal, FC’s defense tightened up and pushed forward all afternoon giving at least eight glorious opportunities for the forwards to score. Junior Ryan Taylor sent fellow junior Chris Erikson alone on two first half breakaways but Erikson shot wide right the first time and the keeper stopped him cold the second. Senior midfielder Joey Montejano also missed on a breakaway and the Eagles were down 1-0 at half.

Riverdale tried to catch FC offside throughout the match but FC exploited it and Erkison finally scored 15 minutes into the second half on a breakaway. Ten minutes later Erikson scored again to pace the Eagles to a 2-1 lead. However, another defensive lapse left a Riverdale forward open down the middle and the game was tied after regulation time.

Junior Kyle Brewer had the best Eagle chance in OT but his 20-yard blast grazed the bar. FC was left with what could have been and will close out their season at Caruthers on Feb. 10. Riverdale will go on to the WSL playoffs most likely as the No. 2 seed.

CARUTHERS 1, FC 0 on Feb. 3
The host Blue Raiders scored once in the first half and hung on to defeat FC, 1-0, despite being outplayed much of the game.

Caruthers opened the scoring with 10 minutes left in the first half off a corner kick. Keeper Derek George made the initial save but could not control the rebound. The ball ricochet off a number of players in the box before Ricardo Zamorano scored.

But other than one other Caruthers corner kick opportunity, FC controled the game and outshot the Blue Raiders, 8-3.

“We played our best game of the year,” coach Matt Markarian said. “We were aggressive, pressed hard and the boys did everything we asked them to do. We had some great chances on frame but just did not finish.”

Junior Chris Erikson may have had the best Eagle opportunity in the first half when he flicked a shot that appeared to surprise the Caruthers’ keeper. The shot tipped off keeper’s shoulder and skidded wide right.

Ryan Taylor also sent a shot across the frame that appeared labled for a corner but the ball deflected off a defender and sailed just wide. Finally a corner sent in by Tyler Enns to Tayor also was a near miss as the ball skidded wide after a goal-mouth scramble. The second half also produced numerous on-frame shots but the Eagles could not beat the Blue Raider keeper.

“We took some great first shots but did not finish,” Markarian added. “We did not cash in on the second chance opportunities. But our defensive play has been outstanding. We carried the play in second half despite having a couple of guys injured on the back end. I am very happy with our team right now.”

FIREBAUGH 1, FC 0 on Jan. 31
Despite constant ball movement by Firebaugh’s midfield and strikers, host FC was able to withstand wave after wave of the visiting Eagles’ pressure until the last five minutes of the match.

Firebaugh scored late and defeated FC, 1-0, on Jan. 31 but the game may yet be in doubt as a Firebaugh player was red-carded as the team substituted another player into the play. The referees allowed another player to come in the game despite rules which appear to state otherwise.

While Firebaugh may have outplayed the host Eagles, FC keeper Derek George made a number of spectacular saves to keep the home squad in the game. He stopped a PK when he dove to his right side to deflect a shot that appeared labled for the corner. George made 12 saves.

“Derek is the core of our defense,” Nate Weis said, “and keeps us fired up with amazing saves. He kept us in the game especially when he layed out for a spectacular save midway through the second half.”

Weis plays marking back across from sweeper sophomore Colton Hutchens. Weis’ responsibility is to stand up the offensive attacking forwards.

FC had two chances in the second half to score when Chris Erikson’s header just grazed the bar after a cross from Aaron Ortiz. The other chance came later when Tyler Enns dribbled through the box and shot just wide right.

“We changed our posture in this game and played defensively knowing we would play an opponent that was skilled and faster than us,” coach Matt Markarian said. “We played defense looking for a counter attack. And it worked to perflection until the one breakdown late in the game.”

Firebaugh’s lone goal came with five minutes to play on a combination play as two forwards dribbled through the box on a give-and-go and scored from eight yards out. George had no chance to save the game. Firebaugh leads the WSL with a record of 8-2.

Check back to these sports shorts next week for an update on this game.

TRANQUILLITY 2, FC 0 on Jan. 27
In a reversal of their Jan. 19 game, FC was shut out by the front-running Tigers as Tranquillity beat FC, 2-0, on Jan. 27. This time the Tigers were ready after losing by the same score 12 days earlier.

FC’s offensive push continues to struggle with shots on the frame but have remained steady on defense keeping their opponents to two goals or less in seven of ten WSL matches.

Jose Gurola and Christian Cruz scored in the first half for Tranquillity who remain atop of the WSL standings at 8-2.

MENDOTA 2, FC 0 on Jan. 24
In a game played mostly in midfield, the Eagles could not muster any offense against an Aztec squad that had been struggling themselves this season. Mendota scored midway throught the first half and with two minutes left in the game to defeat FC, 2-0, on Jan. 24.

The highlight for FC was keeper Derek George who made a couple of spectacular saves to keep the score close. George made a leaping stab at a blast from 25 yards out and punched the ball over the bar as it seemed labled for the top corner.

LIBERTY-MADERA RANCHOS 2, FC 1 on Jan. 20
FC fell behind early as Liberty scored two quick goals in the first half and hung on to defeat the Eagles, 2-1, on Jan. 20. Like the FC girls’ team, the Eagles came out flat after playing emotional games against Tranquillity and Fowler earlier in the week.

Liberty started strong and Aaron Hernandez scored early off a corner kick and Jared Johns, who was left unmarked in the middle, blasted a 20-yard shot past keeper senior Derek George.

The Eagles picked up their game in the second half and Kyle Brewer scored on a free kick in the 55th minute. The Liberty keeper was flagged for a hand violation when he carried the ball outside the box. Tyler Enns took the free kick and sent the ball to Brewer who scored from 12 yards out.

“We have a lot of problem playing at Liberty,” coach Matt Markarian said. “They have a small field with a large crown which takes away our game. We like to play a flank attack from outside and the field is too narrow and hilly for our young squad to adjust.”

The coaches comments seem to have some validity as the Eagles have never beaten Liberty in Madera. The team is also young as FC only has two seniors on the team: goalkeeper George and midfielder Joey Montejano.

“If we are going to compete for a WSL title, we need to be more consistent,” coach Markarian said. “We are young and are still learning how to win. We still need to figure out how to get up for the teams who are at the same skill level as we are.”

However, the Eagles kept pressuring the Hawks and nearly tied the game when Ryan Taylor hit post with less than 15 minutes to play. Aaron Ortiz dribbled the ball through the middle of the field and sent a cross to Taylor who settled the ball a drilled a 20-yard blast off the left bar.

“It was really hard to settle the ball because of the hard surface and we had trouble using the sides of the field,” Ortiz said. “We beat them 3-0 at home in the beginning of the season because we utilized our spacious field.”

FC has already beaten WSL leaders Firebaugh and Tranquillity but continues to struggle with teams equal to or below them in standings.

FC 2, TRANQUILLITY 0 on Jan. 19
Tranquillity drove in to Fresno undefeated and WSL leaders; however, the Tigers faced a determined, energized Eagle team who proved they can run with the best. For some, the young Eagles team surprised front-running Tranquillity and shut out the Tigers, 2-0, on Jan. 19.

Earlier in the month the Jan. 3 Tranquillity game was rained out and it may have played into FC’s advantage. Earlier the Eagles were struggling with self-confidence but in this match, FC pressed the Tigers throughout even after the disappointing loss in Fowler earlier in the week.

Both teams came out tight in the first half and FC keeper Derek George made four saves. The key stops seemed to spirit the Eagles who scored midway in the first period. Tyler Enns scored on a 25-yard blast after he dribbled through the midfield to the left side of box.

The Eagles carried the momentum and confidence into the second half and increased their lead when Ryan Taylor won a battle in the midfield in the 80th minute. Taylor, who has stepped up his game in the last two weeks, crossed to Chris Erickson who dribbled into space and chipped a 10-yard shot past the keeper.

“We came off a couple of losses and were ready to win,” Taylor said. “We really were at the top of our game today.”

The team sank back into a defensive shell to protect the lead during the last 10 minutes and held on to defeat the WSL leaders. However, the win was only secured after George made two diving saves to preserve the victory. George finished the game with 6 saves and 4 were spectacular.

“Tranquillity are always the class of the Valley,” coach Matt Markarian said. “This is the first time beaten them in five years and we were fortunate to do so. Derek gave us a chance to win and then shut them out in the last 10 minutes.”

In the last five years, Tranquillity has won two Valley championships.

FOWLER 3, FC 1 on Jan. 17
Despite Aaron Ortiz’s first half goal, Fowler tied the game at half and went on to defeat FC, 3-1, on Jan. 17.

Ryan Taylor threw in the ball into space in the Fowler end and Ortiz called off Tyler Enns midway through the first half. Ortiz then dribbled the ball to the center of the field and hammered a 20-foot shot into the right panel and FC led, 1-0. But the lead did not last.

The Redcats scored on a disputed PK near the end of the first half after Ortiz scored. But the Eagles could not hold Fowler in the second as Phillip Kasparian scored twice to lead the Redcats.

RIVERDALE 5, FC 0 on Jan. 13
Riverdale’s Hugo Solorio scored twice and the Cowboys shut out FC, 5-0, on Jan. 13 to even their WSL record at 3-3.

CARUTHERS 5, FC 2 on Jan. 10
In a game marred by aggressive play and injuries, FC fell to Caruthers, 5-2, on Jan. 10 as they lost their first WSL game of the year. Two players received yellow cards and another was sent to the hospital.

Caruthers led 3-0 in the first half before Joey Montejano dribbled the ball through the midfield and beat the last defender before laying the ball off to Tyler Enns who placed the ball into the upper right corner of the net.

The Blue Raiders scored early in the second half to take away the momentum from the Eagles and drove FC keeper, Derek George, from the net. However Enns scored his second goal a few minutes later on a three-way play with Colton Hutchens and Aaron Ortiz. Enns picked the right corner on an 18-yard blast.

During the last 10 minutes the play became chippy and two players received yellow cards and Chris Erikson was bloodied after a elbow caught his forehead. He received seven stitches in the hospital.

Caruthers scored again late and FC dropped their first WSL match.

FC 3, FIREBAUGH 2 on Jan. 6
After a three-week break from competitive action, the Eagles traveled to Firebaugh who had not lost a Division 5 game this season. Yet despite a late Firebaugh flury, FC beat the host Eagles, 3-2, on Jan. 6.

Firebaugh showed their poise in the opening minutes as the host Eagles pressed FC and Juan Sandoval scored his first of two goals in the first five minutes. However, FC did not wilt and Chris Erikson scored with two minutes left in half to tie the game.

Joey Montejano fed the ball up the middle to Ryan Taylor who dribbled the ball up field. Then in a pretty give and go play, Ryan sent Erikson up the side and beat the keeper to tie the score at half.

Firebaugh started the second half much the same as the first and Sandoval scored again within the first five minutes to restore the lead. But the lead did not last as Klye Brewer scored half way through second. Tyler Enns sent Brewer alone on the keeper and he placed a ball through goalies legs to tie the score a second time.

FC took the lead for the first time as Taylor scored a minute later. He dribbled the ball through a couple of defenders and scored on a 25-yard blast that hit the inside of the right post.

Derek George made two key saves in the waning minutes as Firebaugh pressed for the equalizer. But FC’s keeper kept the visitors unbeaten in the WSL. Firebaugh falls to 2-1-1 in the WSL and 9-5-1 overall.

FC at GARCES FESTIVAL IN BAKERSFIELD on Dec. 16-17
BRONZE DIVISION, POOL 2–
FC went 0-3-1 in the annual Garces Festival in Bakersfield on Dec. 16-17:
FC 0, STRATHMORE 0 on Dec. 17
FARMERSVILLE 3, FC 0 on Dec. 17
LIBERTY JV-BAKERSFIELD 2, FC 1 on Dec. 16
MOJAVE 7, FC 2 on Dec. 16

FC 2, MENDOTA 0 on Dec. 15
FC will take a three-game winning streak to the Garces Tournament this weekend as they defeated Mendota, 2-0, on Dec. 15. After a scoreless first half, FC created numerous chances in the second half.

Ryan Taylor dribbled the ball in the offensize zone and then settled the ball through the middle into some space and Chris Erikson scored from 25 yards out. The Eagles’ second goal came as a result of a penalty and injury to Dan Kaiser.

An Aztec defender took Kaiser down as he ran through the box midway through the second half. Kaiser got up but was bloodied by the foul so Tyler Enns took the PK and calmly placed the ball into the left corner for FC’s second goal.

Not only did FC win its second consecutive WSL game but they beat Mendota for the first time in school history. The Eagles have now won three in a row and will travel to Bakersfield to play in the Garces Tournament on Dec. 16-17. They will play their games at the Kern County Soccer Park. FC will be in Pool 2.

FC 3, LIBERTY-MADERA RANCHOS 0 on Dec. 13–
After a tough 2-1 win over Sierra last week, FC pressed Liberty-Madera throughout the first half until Chris Erikson scored mid-way through to pace the Eagles to a 3-0 win over the Hawks on Dec. 13.

Despite a fever and flu, junior Jeremy Ramos also scored and gave a spirited performance as the Eagles led 2-0 at half. Junior Ryan Taylor put the game out of reach midway through the second half when junior Aaron Ortiz missed a penalty kick.

“I attempted to strike the ball into the left frame,” Ortiz said, “but the keeper blocked and deflected it right to Ryan. He made an awesome finish and we won the game going away.”

Senior goalkeeper Derek George was only called on to make four saves but he did stop a Hawk forward on a breakaway late in the second half.

“A Hawk forward sprinted towards me on a breakaway and our defense could not catch up,” George said. “I ran out of the box and he shot the ball. However, I guess I misjudged the shot thinking it was going left. As I was going down, I just got a toe on the ball as it sailed right of me; somehow it stayed out.”

Despite starting only two seniors, the boys’ team has gone 3-1 in early season play.

“I am excited to win a league (West Sierra) game before Christmas,” coach Matt Markarian said. “This will give us some momentum as we head into the Garces Tournament.”

FC 2, SIERRA 1 on DEC. 6–
In dramatic form, junior Aaron Ortiz scored on a penalty kick with 10 seconds left in the game to pace FC to a 2-1 non-league victory over Sierra on Dec. 6. The goalie had elbowed Ortiz in the box and a penalty was called. The ball was placed on the 10-yard line and Ortiz calmly struck the ball into the lower left corner of the net.

Sierra led most of the game until FC tied the score midway through the second half. Junior Ryan Taylor redirected a cross from Ortiz who sent it from the left boundry. While Sierra pressed the rest of the half, FC had their chances as well but could not finish until Ortiz won the game. FC improved to 2-1 overall in the young season. The boys will host Liberty-Madera Ranchos on Dec. 13.

CVC 1, FC 0 on DEC. 5–
The Cavaliers defeated the Eagles, 1-0, in a tight match in Visalia on Dec. The Cavaliers only goal was scored on a goal mouth pass that hit the goal post and then deflected in after hitting FC goaltender Derek George in the second half. 5. FC next hosts Tollhouse-Sierra on Dec. 6.

FC 3, LATON 1, on NOV. 29–
The boys opened their season at home with a 3-1 win over Laton on Nov. 29. Juniors Tyler Enns, Aaron Ortiz and Chris Erickson all scored for the Eagles while senior Derek George made 6 saves. The boys next host Tollhouse-Sierra High on Dec. 6.