Boys' basketball sport shorts, 2005-06

BOYS’ BASKETBALL SPORT SHORTS–
Winter 2005/06

The boys’ basketball overall record is 13-17 and 8-6 in the W.S.L. as of Feb. 23.

SEASON END

CIF Central Section Division 5 playoffs
CENTRAL VALLEY CHRISTIAN 72, FC 42 on Feb. 23–
With their hometown crowd beind them, No. 4 Central Valley Christian outscored No. 5 FC in each quarter, using a balanced attack, to defeat the Eagles, 72-42, on Feb. 23.

This time a slow start crippled the Eagles as they quickly fell behind the energized Cavaliers and CVC jumped out to an 11 point lead that only grew as the game progressed. By first quarter’s end, CVC led 14-3 and used their bench freely throughout the rest of the game.

The Eagles did get their offense rolling by the second quarter but still were looking at a 31-18 deficit at halftime. Ten Cavalier players scored at least four points in the game with Lance Reeves and Joe Ford each scoring 11 points to lead CVC.

The Eagles could not keep pace with the Cavaliers in the third quarter as CVC expanded their lead as they outscored the Eagles 15-9 to take a commanding 46-27 lead into the fourth. And while the Eagles’ offense did take flight in the fourth, they could not stop the well-balanced attack of the home team.

Matt Brouwer led the Eagles with a game-high 16 points while Wes Wells chipped in 11 but FC was eliminated from the playoffs.

MENDOTA 69, FC 62 on Feb. 17–
After coming back from a nine-point and two different seven-point deficits to tie the game at 60 with two minutes left, the Eagles did not have enough in the tank and were defeated by Mendota, 69-62, on Feb. 17.

In a game puntuated by emotional point streaks, the Eagles were down 22-15 by first quarter’s end after Mendota rattled off 8 straight points to start the game. Joaquin Velasco, who scored a game-high 29 points, led the Aztec attack over the host Eagles. However FC chipped away at the end and only trailed, 32-29, at half time.

The Eagles rode atop the shooting of seniors Aaron Gulack and Wes Wells in the third quarter and the Eagles closed the gap to two and only trailed 45-43 and at one time had the lead. Gulack finished the game with 13 points while Wells had 17.

The Eagles used their inside game and feed senior Matt Brouwer in the middle who also made timely baskets as the Eagles forged back to tie the game at 60 in the fourth with two minutes left. Brouwer finished with 15 points.

When the Eagles employed their disciplined style of ball movement, they were able to work the ball to free shots and created their own opportunities and seemed poised to complete the comeback. But late turnovers gave Mendota the momentum it needed to close out the game.

FIREBAUGH 70, FC 54 on Feb. 15–
Firebaugh broke open a tight first quarter after leading, 13-12, and used a fast-break offense in the second quarter to beat the visiting Eagles, 70-54, on Feb. 15. Despite a return to tight play in the third, FC could not repeat the heroics of Jan. 20 when they beat Firebaugh, 51-50, on a buzzer beater.

The second quarter belonged to the host Eagles as Firebaugh created turnovers and used a fast-break to outrun and gun FC, 32-22, at half time. Firebaugh’s Stephen Hurt scored 12 of his 18 points in the first half to lead his team while Jake Elsdon scored game-high 30 points, 12 points in the fourth to one-two the visitors from Fresno.

FC tightened up in the third and seemed to recover its defense as the teams traded baskets but the lead stayed at 10 points with Firebaugh leading, 42-32. However, the host Eagles regained their three-point touch and the fast-break to widen their lead and even the best of two season series.

FC seniors Matt Brouwer and Wes Wells each scored 16 points in the loss while Joey Logan added eight points and including one three-pointer.

FC 80, CARUTHERS 71 on Feb. 10–
While Caruthers extended a third quarter lead to nine points, the FC starting five did not wilt and battled back to defeat the Blue Raiders, 80-71, on Feb. 10. But the game was not really decided until FC took the lead for good with less than four minutes to play in the game.

For the second straight game, coach Chuck Anderson stuck to his starting five and limited bench play despite having senior Matt Brouwer in foul trouble in the fourth quarter. But the team did not fold under pressure despite losing to Caruthers by 14 points on Jan. 18.

While the teams were tied at 21 by the end of the first quarter, the Blue Raiders dominated the boards in the second and led, 44-38, at half time. The Eagles had opportunities to close the gap but missed a number of layups. Caruthers was led by Rowland Perales’ 18 points while Ryan Acevedo added 12 points.

The visitors led by as many as nine points, 53-44, in the third before the Eagles began hitting three-pointers to close the gap. Junior Joey Logan scored a game-high 26 points including three three-pointers, many with defenders in his face, to spark the comeback. By the end of the third quarter, Caruthers only led by four points, 60-56.

While the gap widened to six a couple of times in the fourth, the momentum had swung and the Eagles would not lose a second time to the Blue Raiders. The duo of Logan and senior Wes Wells proved to be too much for the 6-6 Caruthers team. Wells scored 24 points and often traded off with Logan in the offensive end.

Senior Aaron Gulack again made a difference and his intensity and clutch shots helped jumpstart the Eagle attack after half. Gulack scored 16 points and often had Blue Raiders chasing him as he ran through the paint for layups.

However, the three-point show got started with J.D. Perry who early in the second quarter shot three from behind the arc and finished with 9 points.

FC 73, FOWLER 51 on Feb. 7–
One blow out deserves another…. After falling behind, 16-13, at the end of the first quarter, the Eagles promptly dismantled the visiting WSL leaders and blew out the Redcats, 73-51, on Feb. 7. Five Eagles scored in double digits to pace FC.

?The teams confidence began rise after seeing the score with us behind only by three points,? guard Matt Karahadian, ’06, said. ?We began to think that we could dethrone these overrated Redcats,?

The second quarter was all Eagles as FC ruled the boards and moved the ball around to all five starters. By half time, the Eagles led, 35-26, and the momentum continued into the third quarter. Seniors Joey Logan and Wes Wells each had 16 points as the team focused on a balanced attack and outscored Fowler in each of the last three quarters.

?It was a whole team effort,? Wells said. ?Our defense won the game, and we played well together. The team?s scores were equally balanced.?

FC led, 52-37, at the end of the third quarter and the rout was on. While the 9-2 Redcats lead the WSL, they could not match the Eagles’ intensity despite beating FC by 19 points on Jan. 13. With the jazz band playing songs, including “The Final Countdown” during timeouts, the music seemed to boost the Eagles’ play.

?We were up by a lot in the fourth quarter,? forward Aaron Gulack, ’06, said. ?We knew we could not let up, they are a very good team and we knew they would start a comeback. The crowd and band helped us keep our intensity.?

Senior Matt Brouwer scored 14 points and led the team in rebounds. Junior J.D. Perry [13 points] and Gulack [11 points] rounded out the top five scoring for FC while senior Clay Cederquist led Fowler with 19 points.

RIVERDALE 51, FC 48 on Feb. 3
The last time these two teams met, Riverdale dominated FC and beat the Eagles by 14 points on Jan. 10. However, the Cowboys met a determined Eagle squad this time and narrowly walked off their home court with a 51-48 victory on Feb. 3, ending the Eagles’ win-streak at four games.

The teams were tied at 13 at the end of the first quarter in a see-saw battle that continued through the second as Riverdale led, 25-23, at half. FC’s Joey Logan led all scorers with a game-high 21 points but the Eagles could not overcome a raucious Riverdale crowd and Cowboy defense in the second half.

Riverdale increased their lead to four points by the beginning of the fourth quarter as both teams’ offense caught fire. While FC scored 17 points they had trouble defending the Cowboys’ duo of Tony Machado (15 points) and Ben Roberts (13 points). Riverdale led 44-40 to set up a defensive fourth quarter.

Both teams were able to stop their opponent from getting into an offensive rythmn but Riverdale’s four point lead stood up as they clogged the paint with defenders and outrebounded the Eagles to snatch away a close game. The Eagles outscored Riverdale 8-7 in the final frame but could not finish the comeback as they had closed the gap to one point with less than a minute to play.

After Riverdale failed to make two free throws in the last 20 seconds, FC had two chances to go ahead in the game with a field goal but the shot banked off the rim. After the home team extended the lead to three, FC had a chance with two seconds left but a three-point shot fell short and the crowd emptied on the court. The Cowboys lead the WSL with an 8-2 record.

J.D. Perry scored 8 points while Wes Wells and Matt Brouwer each added 7 points for the Eagles who next host Fowler on Feb. 7.

FC 55, TRANQUILLITY 40 on Jan. 31
In what appeared to be the start of another sloppy losing streak, the Eagles changed course midway through their game against Tranquillity and rebounded to beat the Tigers, 55-40, on Jan. 31.

Tranquillity went on a 9-0 run to start the game and was soundly beating the Eagles, 19-6, at the end of the first quarter. With the crowd taken out of the game, it looked like FC would be blown out at home. However, Aaron Gulack’s three-pointer at the beginning of the second quarter seemed to ignite a sleepy Eagle team.

Joey Logan also stepped up his game in the second quarter when he scored 8 out of his 17 points to lead all players. Logan his two three-point shots and the crowd came alive. Yet despite outscoring the Tigers, 15-8, in the second, FC still trailed 27-21.

The Eagles though picked up where they left off and dominated the third and outscored Tranquillity, 20-6, to put the game out of reach. Wes Wells scored all of his 12 points in the third to lead the Eagle attack.

“Wes came out and led like a senior should,” coach Chuck Anderson said. “He played aggressively and made key shots and led this team after their weak first half.”

Coach Anderson also said he did not call a timeout in the first half to help his team because they were not mentally prepared and needed to work the funk out themselves.

“The boys were not mentally prepared,” Andserson said. “I did not bail them out. They needed to work out how to move the ball without being bailed out.”

Earlier this season, FC defeated the Tigers twice, each time by 40 points.

“Maybe the earlier blowouts affected them,” coach Anderson added, “but now they know how to react to a poor start.”

Gulack finished the game with seven points while J.D. Perry added 9 and Matt Brouwer scored 7.

FC 51, LIBERTY-MADERA RANCHOS 47 on Jan. 27
After a tight first three quarters, FC began to take chances on offense in the fourth and it paid off as the Eagles traveled to Hawk country and defeated Liberty, 51-47, on Jan. 27 in Madera Ranchos.

Joey Logan, despite spraining his ankle in practice earlier in the week, led all players with 17 points. The trio of Wes Wells, Aaron Gulack and Matt Brouwer also spread the scoring around so that the Hawks had trouble defending from midway through the third and into the fourth quarters.

Wells finished with 12 points while Gulack had 13 and Brouwer added 6 points as the Eagles won three straight after dropping three in a row earlier in the month.

FC led 18-15 at half as both side missed opportunities as well as made some fine defensive play to keep the score low.

However the pace picked up midway through the third as FC made three three-point plays and built a 37-29 third quarter lead. The Eagles never lost their momentum and climb two games over .500 in the WSL. The boys next host Tranquillity on Jan. 31 who they beat earlier in the month.

FC 64, MENDOTA 63 on Jan. 25
After leading by 13 in the first quarter, the Eagles withstood Mendota’s pressure in the second and fourth quarter and held on to defeat the Aztecs, 64-63, on Jan. 25. Senior Matt Brouwer, despite a sore ankle, returned to form to lead FC with 15 points.

“Matt Brouwer stepped up and played a heck of a game for us,” coach Chuck Anderson said. “He got beat up underneath but was a force on the boards and had his best game in a month.”

For a second straight game, FC battled an opponent right to the buzzer as Mendota outscored FC, 25-19, in the fourth quarter to close the gap. Mendota’s trio of Greg Torres (16 points), Sal Ochoa (14) and Joaquin Velasco (14) moved the ball on offense and created turnovers on defense to turn the game around. Ochoa and Velasco used perimeter shooting in an effective comeback.

In December Mendota beat the Eagles by 40 points in FC’s Holiday Tournament but the Eagles were able to contain the Aztecs this time.

“We prepared for this team differently this week,” coach Anderson said. “The boys were not intimidated despite the score a month ago. They came focused and played hard and we won because of our defensive play.”

J.D. Perry waas a force on the boards with 10 defensive rebounds and he scored 9 points.

“Perry played a complete game for us,” Anderson said, “and his play was vital for us.”

However, FC’s height advantage may have been the difference as Brouwer was able to rebound the ball for second and third shots to lead the Eagles. Wes Wells added 14 points in a one-two punch that Mendota had trouble defending, especially in the first quarter.

FC led, 33-26, at half time despite being outscored 15-9 in the second quarter when Mendota pressured the ball to close the gap. The Eagles were able to adjust in the third quarter and the teams traded baskets as each scored 12 points.

Joey Logan, who has been the point leader in the past month, scored 9 points. However Aaron Gulack, who has stepped up his game in the last two weeks, added 11 points as the offense has become more balanced. Gulack, who injured his ankle during practice, may have been the difference on defense as he outrebounded the Aztecs with 10 pulldowns.

Mendota had a chance to win the game with six seconds left but, after initial Eagle pressure slowed Aztec ball movement, a half court shot fell short and the Eagles improved to 4-3 in the WSL.

FC 51, FIREBAUGH 50 on Jan. 20
With one second to play, junior forward J.D. Perry rebounded the ball under the basket and put in the winner that capped a 10-point 4th quarter comeback as FC defeated Firebaugh, 51-50, on Jan. 20.

Playing before a capacity crowd, the two teams matched basket for basket in the second quarter after Firebaugh had led, 11-7, at the end of quarter one. After each side scored 10 in the second, the visitors from Firebaugh led, 21-17, at half. Firebaugh was led by senior Jake Elsdon’s 21 points.

The visiting Eagles added to their lead in the third and appeared poised to put the game away as they led by 7 points, 33-26.

However, the game heated up in the fourth after Firebaugh increased their lead to 10 points with 2:20 left in the game. FC began to press Firebaugh and the home crowd seemed to ignite the Eagles who outscored the visitors, 25-17, in the fourth before the last second heroics by Perry.

The furious comeback was led by junior Joey Logan’s 21 points, who along with senior Wes Wells’ 12 points, led the Eagles’ attack. Logan scored 10 points in the fourth quarter and made some key free throws in the last two minutes.

“Joey is our quiet leader,” coach Chuck Anderson said. “He is the last to leave the gym after practice and has the fire and desire to play hard. He stepped up his game after we began WSL play; he has really improved his game since last year. His work ethic shows on and off the court.”

Yet Firebaugh still led by one point with 10 seconds left when coach Anderson had the team run a set play. Logan dribbled the ball up court and then drove to the paint. But instead of shooting, and after drawing the defenders to him, Logan dished the ball to senior Matt Brouwer.

Brower, who had set up a screen, caught the ball and then rolled off the screen and shot a jumper. While Brouwer’s shot bounced off the rim, Perry outmuscled the defenders and made a layup just before the buzzer. Perry finished the game with 7 points, all in the fourth quarter and seemed to overcome his three quarter defensive battle with senior Steve Hurt.

Hurt, who stands 6′ 4″ and is Firebaugh’s starting football quarterback, normally averages 15 points per game; however, Perry held him to 3 points. Perry’s tenacious defense shut down and frustrated Hurt who fouled out by the middle of the third quarter.

“Perry was fantastic and I have to say,” coach Anderson continued, “that our guys stepped up and finally played four quarters of basketball. It was a team effort that included (senior Aaron) Gulack’s 7 points; his 3-pointer in the fourth was key. Aaron is often overlooked but he also made a great assist to Joey under the basket to push the momentum our way in the fourth. The total team effort really showed what this group is capable of.”

Even as the buzzer sounded, the crowd poured onto the court and smoothered Perry in a wild celebration.

CARUTHERS 62, FC 48 on Jan. 18
Rushed shot selection and an offense that lacked teamwork dropped the Eagles behind early and Caruthers held on to defeat FC, 62-48, on Jan. 18. The Blue Raiders jumped out to a 32-16 half time lead and traded baskets with the Eagles for their third WSL win of the season.

While Joey Logan scored as game-high 21 points, the Eagles dropped their third straight WSL game. FC could not overcome a slow start. The Blue Raiders led 16-9 at the end of the first quarter and never looked back.

However, the second half seemed like a completely different game. FC’s offense, which sputtered in the first half, caught fire with the offense focusing on Logan. J.D. Perry scored 9 points and Matt Brouwer added 8 points as the Eagles began to move the ball around in the second half.

The two teams each scored 16 points in the third and FC actually outscored Caruthers in the fourth quarter, 16-14, but it was not enough.

FOWLER 67, FC 48 on Jan. 13
Despite Wesley Wells’ game-high 19 points, Fowler outscored the Eagles in each quarter and defeated FC, 67-48, on Jan. 13. Each team had three players in double digits but the RedCats pulled away late in the third and shut down the Eagles in the fourth for their third WSL win.

After leading 17-13 at the end of the first quarter, the play opened up and both teams played run and gun to the half but Fowler led 33-27. With Matt Brouwer’s ankle still slowing him, the Eagles could not contain a trio of Redcats as Santana Neal struck for 17 points while Angel Vargas and Clay Cederquist added 15 a piece.

The Eagles’ offense clicked in the third but still were outscored by Fowler 20-15. Joey Logan and J.D. Perry each scored 11 points for the Eagles but were shut down in the fourth as Fowler put the game out of reach as their defense tightened under the backing of their home crowd.

RIVERDALE 59, FC 45 on Jan. 10
Riverdale outscored FC each of the first three quarters and went on to defeat FC, 59-45, on Jan. 10. While the first half was close, the Cowboys broke open the game in the third and handed FC its first WSL loss of the season.

Riverdale led 27-22 at half time but outscored the Eagles, 17-8, in the third and traded baskets with FC in the fourth to remain a perfect 3-0 in WSL play.

Aaron Gulack led the Eagles with 13 points while Wesley Wells scored 14 and Joey Logan added 12. Matt Brouwer was held to 5 points as the Cowboys made defended aggressively in the middle.

FC 57, TRANQUILLITY 19 on Jan. 6
No statistics are available.

FC 55, LIBERTY-MADERA 46 on Jan. 3
FC jumped out to a 12-9 first quarter lead and rode a strong second quarter to beat Liberty-Madera Ranchos, 55-46, on Jan. 3 to open the W.S.L. season.

The Eagles outscored Liberty, 20-6, in the second to lead 32-15 at half time. However, the Hawks adjusted at half and came out and outhustled FC in and around the basket. Liberty outrebounded the Eagles and outscored them, 18-6, and were only down 38-33 at the end of the third quarter. The Eagles appeared tired and fatigued but the quarter break settled them down.

FC recovered and outscored the Hawks, 17-13, in the fourth to win their first W.S.L. game of the year. Joey Logan led all players with 16 points while Wesley Wells scored 15 points. Matt Brouwer and Aaron Gulack each added 9 points. Brouwer played for the first time since badly spraining his ankle on Dec. 28.

FRESNO CHRISTIAN HOLIDAY CHAMPIONSHIPS Dec. 27-30
OROSI 45, FC 33 on DEC. 30–
Playing without their star forward, Orosi defeated the Eagles, 45-33, in the fifth place game of the Holiday Championships. Matt Brouwer badly sprained his ankle in pool play and did not return and the Eagles did not win in his absence.

Even so the Eagles played Orosi tough in the first half despite being down, 11-6, at the end of the first quarter. FC battled back and its defense held in the second. Joey Logan made some key first half baskets and the Eagles were only down one point at half, 20-21.

The third quarter belonged to Orosi though as they outscored FC, 11-4, to blow open the game. FC made a comeback in the fourth but it was not enough. Wesley Wells added 8 points for the Eagles who do not play again until after the new year.

SIERRA 52, FC 36 on DEC. 29–
No statistics available.

MENDOTA 76, FC 38, on DEC. 28–
With Matt Bouwer going down with an ankle injury early in the game, FC fell behind and never recovered as Mendota defeated FC, 68-39, on Dec. 28.

FC 69, TRANQUILLITY 14 on DEC. 27–
Any thoughts of overeating during Christmas feasting was quickly put to rest as FC came out running and gunning and they defeated Tranquillity, 69-14, on Dec. 27 as the Eagles opened their Holiday Championships.

The first quarter belonged to FC as offense and defense clicked as the team rolled to a 27-3 lead. The Tigers slowed the Eagles in the second quarter but FC still led, 35-5, at half. Matt Brouwer led all scorers with 18 points and the Eagles had four players with double figures.

The second half began much the same as the first as the Eagles poured on the offense and added 23 points in the third while only allowing 7 Tiger points. The Eagle defense allowed only 2 Tranquillity points in the final frame.

CENTRAL VALLEY CHRISTIAN INVITATIONAL TOURNAMENT Dec. 20-23

CVC 69, FC 36 on DEC. 23–
Playing in front of its home crowd, CVC dominated the third quarter to dispatch FC, 69-36, in its own invitational on Dec. 23. After leading, 30-17, at half time, the Cavaliers blew open the game and outscored the Eagles, 32-3, in the third to send the home crowd home happy for Christmas.

What had been a balanced FC scoring threat turned into a route. Their three-point game disappeared and were outscored each of the first three quarters. The Eagles’ top three scorers never made it to double figures and could not stop the Cavaliers offense. J.D. Perry led FC with 11 points.

The final game however did not deter the voters from naming Matt Brouwer to the All-tournament team. FC finished the invitational in fourth place with a 2-2 record. Sunnyside defeated Coalinga, 46-43, to win the tournament.

FC 64, PARLIER 59 on DEC. 22–
A balanced attack again propelled FC to a victory at the CVC Invitational. The Eagles scored in double figures each quarter but had to come from behind in the third to defeat Parlier, 64-59, on Dec. 22.

After Parlier outscored the Eagles, 16-13, in the second quarter to take a 25-23 half time lead, the defense held the Panthers just enough for the offense to rally.

The third quarter belonged to the Eagles as they outscored Parlier, 21-14, as three Eagles scored in double figures.

“At half time I asked the players do they want this win or not,” coach Mike Neal said. “We talked about playing with determination and they came out and responded in the third. They played with a higher level of intensity defensively and the offense matched the effort. Of course our three-point shots were big for us.”

FC made 13 three-point shots including Aaron Gulack’s five from the arc and Ronnie Gianneta’s three were his only points (9) of the game.

Three players led FC throughout the game as Gulack scored a season-high 19 points, Joey Logan delivered 16 while Matt Brouwer added 15.

The teams traded baskets in the fourth, scoring 20 points apiece as both offenses clicked, but the Panthers could not make up the difference. Pool play concluded with the game as FC went 2-1.

FC 67, KINGS CHRISTIAN 65 on DEC. 21–
With 12 seconds remaining, Joey Logan’s 3-pointer was the difference as FC came back late in the fourth to defeat Kings Christian, 67-65, to even their record at the CVC Invitational on Dec. 21.

The Eagles fell behind early as the Crusaders outscored them, 24-16, in the first quarter but FC chipped away at the lead and at half’s end were only down by four, 35-31. Kings Christian held FC leading scorer, Matt Brouwer, to only 5 points in the first half but the 6′ 3″ forward led the Eagles the rest of the way.

Brouwer scored 14 of his 19 points in the second half before Logan made his game-winning shot. Logan finished with 13 points while Wes Wells added 16 to pace an Eagles squad that outscored the Crusaders, 36-30, in the second half.

“We had balanced scoring from three guys in double digits,” coach Mike Neal said. “We played a tough Division V team that should rank high in the standings. This win will be good for us when pool play finishes and when ranking come out.”

COALINGA 57, FC 27 on DEC. 20–
Coalinga jumped to a first quarter 11-3 lead and never looked back in their 57-27 win over FC on Dec. 20 to open the CVC Invitational in Visalia.

The Horned Toads outscored the Eagles each quarter. Coalinga stretched their lead to 26-10 at half time and were never threatened despite Matt Brouwer’s game-high 16 points.

SAN DIEGO SMALL SCHOOLS INVITATIONAL TOURNAMENT Dec. 7-10
FC 50, HOLTVILLE 39 on DEC. 10–
While Holtville led by as many as 9 points in the second quarter, FC outplayed them in the second half and defeated Holtville, 50-39, on Dec. 10 to finish 2-2 in the San Diego Small Schools Invitational.

Matt Brouwer led the Eagles with 14 points as the Eagles outscored Holtville, 14-7, in the third quarter to take the lead which they did not relinquish.

ARMY-NAVY 91, FC 57 on DEC. 9–
For the first time this season every player on the Eagles team contributed on the court offensively but FC was unable to overcome a 21-10 second quarter deficit and lost to Army-Navy, 91-57, on Dec. 9.

“We played well but were beaten by a skilled team,” coach Mike Neal said after the game. “Everyone contributed but it was not enough today.”

The Eagles were down 38-22 at half and were outscored 29-21 in the third. Matt Brouwer led FC with 13 points, Wes Wells and Joey Logan each added 10 in the loss.

FC 56, MIDWAY BAPTIST 40 on DEC. 7–
Senior Wes Wells scored 10 of his 19 points in the second quarter as FC defeated Midway Baptist, 56-40, on Dec. 7. The Eagles outscored Midway, 15-1, in the second quarter to put the game out of reach early.

The Eagles continue play in the San Diego Small Schools Invitational through Dec. 10. They are scheduled to play Coronado High on Dec. 8 at 8 P.M.

SELMA 56, FC 52 on DEC. 3–
While FC led 39-37 at the start of the fourth quarter, Selma’s duo of Chris Pena and Joseph Hernandez led a spirited comback to help the Bears defeat the Eagles, 56-52, in the seventh place game of the Kerman Kiwanis Invitational on Dec. 3. Hernandez and Pena combined for 25 points.

The team’s traded baskets through out the first three quarters and were tied at 26 at half time. Joey Logan led the Eagles with 14 points while Matt Brouwer added 13 in another double digit game.

West Bakersfield defeated Yosemite, 71-40, in the championship game.

YOSEMITE 66, FC 53 on DEC. 2–
Yosemite used a 17-12 first quarter lead and never trailed as they defeated the Eagles, 66-53, on Dec. 2 in the Kerman Kiwanis Tournament. Badgers star Aaron Hunt scored 24 points to send Yosemite to play West Hight in the finals on Dec. 3.

While Badgers led by 12 at half time, FC did score point for point with Yosemite in the third (10-11) and fourth quarters (18-18) but were unable to make up a slow start. Matt Brouwer led the Eagles with 16 points while Aaron Gulack scored 11 and J.D. Perry added 9 points in the loss.

FC 68, KERMAN 63 on DEC. 1–
The boys won their second game of the Kerman Tournament,; they beat Kerman, 68-63, in overtime on Dec. 1 during first round play at the Kerman Kiwanis Tournament. No other information is available at this time.

COALINGA 63, FC 51 on NOV. 30–
The boys lost their opening game of the season to Coalinga, 63-51, on Nov. 30 during first round play at the Kerman Kiwanis Tournament.

FC ran with Coalinga throughout the first two quarters but were down three points at half, 28-25. Coalinga pulled away in the third when they outscored the Eagles, 17-9. Wesley Wells led the Eagles with 16 points. Matt Brouwer added 9 and Joey Logan scored 8 points in the loss.