Column: Monterey’s Car Week exhibits world class automobiles

[/media-credit] Former race cars were displayed at Mecum Auto Auctions before being auctioned off, Aug. 20.

Car Week Monterey annually hosts some of the most prestigious car shows in the nation

For most people, a weekend at the coast includes lounging at the beach, relaxing in the sun or maybe going shopping. However, during Car Week in Monterey, crowds of people flock to the coast for a very different reason.

Car Week is every car lover’s paradise and takes place from Aug. 11-20. The variety of different shows and auctions provided attendees with a variety of different cars to view. The sheer amount of automobiles, whether they be American muscle cars, exotic European sports cars or others, overwhelm even the most serious car collectors.

As a girl who has followed NASCAR her entire life and has watched more episodes of Top Gear than any other show on television, I obviously had the date marked on the calendar for quite some time.

My family takes an annual trip to Monterey for Car Week every year to cap off the summer. Despite the fact that school started before the event began this year, we still made a point to travel for the weekend and continue the tradition.

Saturday morning we arrived at Mecum Auto Auctions, arguably one of the best places to be during Car Week. The auction took place at the Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa, and hundreds of cars lined the Del Monte Golf Course behind it.

Compared to other auctions and shows during the week, I enjoyed my time at Mecum the most. Not only were there plenty of amazing cars to enjoy, the auction also had several historical motorcycles and even boats that were on display.

Overwhelmed with excitement, I felt myself being pulled in different directions, not wanting to overlook a single car, but also eager to examine the next one in line. My siblings, cousins and I each walked up to certain cars, examined the engine blocks, and checked the odometers and interior for any sign of aging before guessing how much the car would go for later upon reaching the auction block.

[/media-credit] Exotic cars rolled onto the auction block in front of a crowd of bidders, Aug. 20.

As the day went on, the more expensive and luxurious cars began to make appearances at the auction block. Private jets regularly flew overhead as bidders lounged around cars that would later sell for thousands, if not millions, of dollars. I kept my distance from some of the higher end cars, figuring I couldn’t even afford to pay for the paint on one should I accidentally scratch it.

While capturing an image of a Ferrari, my sister, Julia Fikse, ‘19, struck up a conversation with former Olympian and Ferrari enthusiast Nicholas Frankl.

Frankl and his father, legendary motorsports journalist and television commentator Andrew Frankl, were kind enough to take the time to speak with us on a variety of topics including journalism and automobiles.

Both Frankl and his father were excited to see that my sister and I took an interest in classic cars, as many from our generation do not.

As I tried my best to take in the sights, I also couldn’t help but notice the lack of teenagers or young adults in the crowd. Of course, most teens may be busy or may not have the means to travel to the coast for a weekend, but even at the events open for the public, a large majority of the crowd were not from my age group.

In a society that is moving away from a love of driving, teens who share a common interest in cars are becoming hard to come by. Many young adults find themselves taking Ubers or cabs instead of driving themselves.

While those services certainly have their advantages, the feeling of being behind the wheel while driving down an open highway or navigating through a twisting mountain road cannot be replaced.

Perhaps that is why I enjoy Car Week so much. I love being in an environment with others who take pride in the cars they own, and drive them, not simply to get to a destination, but rather to enjoy the journey.

What are some of your interests or passions? Let us know in the comments below.

Slide images below from Car Week 2017, Aug. 11-19.

[rev_slider alias=”carshow2017″]

This author can be reached via Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

For more articles, read: Campus teacher embarks on journey to see solar eclipse.