Girls' soccer prepares for season

A new year a new season begins for the schools girls? soccer team. Working hard, pumped, and ready to get started as the girls venture to take on their Division 5 opponents.

Sixteen girls? month-long conditioning and soccer drills are about to be tested in the upcoming tournament in Garces Tournament on Dec. 16.

Coach Robert Foshee said the team participates in these tournaments to help them prepare themselves to challenge other schools for a Valley championship and bring them together as a team.

?Some of our goals as a team are teamwork, to play hard and to represent God,? Foshee said. ?This will be a good year, especially since league has gotten better so now we won?t be playing easy games.?

Many girls are excited for this season of soccer and are looking forward to playing.

?It?s my last year in high school and I like playing soccer, so I decided to join,? Kelsey Boogusch, ?06, said. ?We look really good this year; there are some new faces, but I think we will work together really well.?

As a tradition, when the girls and boys soccer teams go to Garces each team tries to do a prank on the other.

?My freshman year, we bought an old little Christmas tree and put it on Danny Risch?s (boys? soccer assistant coach?s) van,? Christina Cabias, ?07, said. ?We even decorated the tree and put shaving cream all over the van.?

Many on the team said Fowler will be giving the girls a challenge this year and traditionally has been their main rival. Yet many are hoping to go all the way to Valley and succeed in winning. Most of the team has a positive outlook and is anticipating the new season.

?I?m looking forward to growing closer as a team and bonding together,? Kristen Amerine, ?07, said. ?Yet I?m not looking forward to injuries that may come our way.?

The girls played their first game against Mc Lane on Nov. 28 but lost, 1-0, to the Highlanders. Their next game will be against Central Valley Christian (CVC) in Visalia on Dec. 5.

The girls finished the 2004/05 WSL season with a 13-1 record and 21-8-1 overall.

For more information about girls? soccer, contact the high school office at 299-1695, ext. 5 or contact Foshee at [email protected].