Teachers are parents too

While the shock of seeing a teacher outside of school has diminished since elementary school, it still comes as a shock to some that teachers have lives and families of their own.

?Saturday mornings are very special to me,? Chris Schultz, boys? counselor, said, ?because I spend the day with my girls. It?s daddy and his daughters time, just some time for us to hang out.?

Schultz has three kids, Kamryn, four, Addison, two, and Tessa, born Dec 8. Schultz, now back on campus after spending two years in Santa Barbara, believes that a balance between school and family is possible.

?Now that I?m back,? Schultz said, ?Fresno Christian is still important to me, but family has taken the priority.?

Schultz?s children have occasionally come to school functions, much to the enjoyment of students.

?It was really cool when Mr. Schultz brought his kids with him to the senior retreat,? Lindsey Brush, ?06, said. ?It?s nice to see the kids having a great time, because we have a great time when they are there.?

Paul McEntee, band director, also has two young children, Jonah, three, and McKay, one. For McEntee, the time he shares with his boys is very special.

?Tuesdays my wife works, so after school I pick up the boys,? McEntee said. ?We then go out to eat, and then either play at the park or in our backyard. I play soccer with them almost everyday.?

McEntee?s older brother, Tom McEntee, drama teacher, is the father of Titus, two, and Joel, 3 months. McEntee feels that his son makes him want to be at home more, just to be around him.

?Sometimes I feel like Nemo?s father,? McEntee said. ?I don?t want Titus to get hurt. It makes me sad because I know the world is suffering. Sometime he will get hurt. I also want to be home more often because he?s so funny.?

These children do more than form an integral part of a teacher?s life. They also can brighten up a student?s day.

?It is fun when teachers bring their little kids to school,? Andrew Biehler, ?08, said. ?I like it that I get to see a little version of a teacher–Jonah McEntee. The little kids are always fun to see on campus.?

There is also another baby watch on campus this month. Besides Schultz, Josh Tosland, math teacher, is expecting a child on Dec. 20. More information on both of these developments will be in this online newspaper in the weeks ahead. Perhaps these children will form a new generation of campus students.

For more information on this article, e-mail the teachers at [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected].