Curriculum changes align schedules, standards

A student taps anxiously on the table in eagerness of the approaching lunch break. He tries to contain his growling stomach as the clock approaches 12:30. The most notable change for students is the 45 min. delayed lunch hour since the beginning of the 2005/06 school year.

Just last year most students? favorite period, lunch, arrived sooner. The delayed lunch hour caused revisions to other campus rules concerning hungry students.

The amendment of the ?no eating in the hallways? rule removed complaints from students at the postponed eating hour. Snacking allows students to function better because they have more energy to focus in class.

The change of schedule aligned the junior high and high school times to better unify the incoming high school students and established high school students.

Apparent changes include the opportunity for eighth graders to take foreign language classes and advanced math courses. An increased academic challenge creates more stress, which welcomes periodic half days.

?I love half days,? Daniel Kessler, ?06, said, ?Classes are more relaxed because of the shorter schedule. It gives me a chance to relax, hang out with friends and get caught up on homework.?

11 half days throughout the year provide students reprieve from long school days. Half days to students become ?staff transformation days? for teachers.

In-services provide teachers with the opportunity to evaluate their current teaching methods in relationship to California State Teacher Performance Standards, to collaborate across grade levels and establish action plans to improve instruction in the classroom.

?We are always looking for ways to be better and more effective,? Debbie Siebert, curriculum adviser, said.

Recently the school adopted the California State Academic Content standards. Now the curriculum aligns more closely with other Fresno and Clovis area public schools.

?At the same time we adapted these standards,? Siebert said, ?to incorporate a Christian worldview and Biblical perspective. Which makes our school unique.?

FCS uses textbooks that are more aligned with state standards. The advantages of the new curriculum changes ensure sequential steps for the entire K-12 educational program.

These changes make it possible to measure performance more effectively. Teachers can easily assess units of study and make needed adjustments.

Professional development can now focus on engaging and supporting students more comprehensively. Teachers strive to incorporate the different methods in the classroom to reach as many students possible.

For the remainder of the year, teachers continue to evaluate units of study to ensure alignment with the newly adopted academic content standards. Ongoing self-evaluation of instructional methods aids teachers to be more effective to meet the diversity of the students.

For more information contact Siebert at 299-1695, ext.141 or [email protected].