Fresno Area College Night showcases 100 colleges

College reps promote early apps, connections

Juniors and seniors are invited to Fresno Area College Night at the Fresno Convention Center to gain a hands-on experience with representatives from a variety of colleges, both community and international, Sept. 13. The event is hosted by the Fresno County Superintendent of Schools and sponsored PG&E, who both promote the “Power of a Good Education.” 

[/media-credit] Students from the Fresno area are invited to College Night at the Fresno Convention Center, Sept. 13. 

The convention takes place at the Exhibit Hall on “M” Street. The venue offers information about education beyond high school. Organizers expect nearly 5,000 students to attend the event from 6 – 8:30 p.m.

College and university representatives will be present along with a variety of interactive workshops. Workshops include: admissions process, planning for college, African-American colleges, scholarship and financial aid, and much more.

Academic advisor Michelle Warkentin urges students to attend regardless of grade.

“College Night is such a great event for all are students grade 7 – 12,” Warkentin said. “It’s just an awesome event because there is going to be hundreds of colleges represented there. It’s a good time to sit down and get information about college all at once. I think even kids who think they have a good handle on college probably have some questions that could be answered there, so I think it’s great for anyone who knows nothing about college or those who have a good grasp of it.”

Upperclassmen Fiona Soto, ‘19, looks forward to seeing the variety of colleges the Fresno Area College Night.

“I really want to be more informed about colleges and universities in general,” Hampel said. “Because I’m so nervous about college, I’ve kind of tried not to think about it so that has lead me to not read as much as I should. I’m not too sure about what colleges will be there so I’ll just have to wait and see. I hope it will be beneficial.”

[/media-credit] Over 100 college, university and tech schools will have tables at the annual Fresno Area College Night.

Although the event is designed to engage sophomores – seniors, all are welcome to attend. Warkentin advises students to get a head start on their college search.

“It’s never too early to start planning,” Warkentin said. “I think even as a freshman it seems so far away but college is going to be here before you know it. The sooner that kids can start planning and at least get an idea of what kind of colleges they want to apply to, I think the more prepared and the less stressed out they’ll be as seniors.”

Thousands of students, parents and community members are anticipated to attend. Come early for information on accredited vocational colleges, California State University campuses, community colleges, college clubs and organizations, financial planning institutions, private universities and colleges, University of California campuses. It is also advised to bring money for parking. Most lots charge $10 for the evening.

If attending, students are recommended to bring a copy of their transcript(s) to the event.

For last year’s article, check out: College Night persuades, informs students. For more news articles, read BREAKING: Calvin Crest retreat rescheduled.

This author can be reached via Twitter @catevk.