Join the discussion: Campus College Fair 2017

Annual college fair engages students

[/media-credit] Students read pamphlets from one of the 27 college booths during college fair, Sept. 19.

Colleges from all over the country came to FC in hopes to draw students onto their campus. During the fair students talked to college representatives from 27 different schools and received a personal perspective about the programs offered and what it’s like to live on campus.

Academic advisor Michelle Warkentin organizes these events, which began in 2007. She had colleges from as far as Langley, British Columbia, Canada, such as Trinity Western University and Northwestern College in Iowa.

With more public universities facing issues of impaction, Christian colleges are attracting more students than before. Even though the school might be more expensive, more students graduate at private universities within four years, saving them money in the long run.

Visit the campuses before you decide
Cierra Smith, Cal Baptist representative
September 19, 2017

“CBU specifically wants to know how you are going to grow spiritually, academically and socially. Every college that you are looking at, I recommend, that you should visit the campus to see if you feel at home. You are going to be there for the next four years of your life, so you want to make sure the campus is a good fit for you. We are a private Christian school so we still have the small community and small class sizes. You really get to know your professors pretty well. We have just about 7,000 undergraduates, so we are also on the larger side, so you can always be meeting new people. Students should start their application process as soon as possible.”

The following video by Kyle Friesen shows the variety of colleges at the FC campus college fair, Sept. 19.

Research and prepare 
Andrea Sorvilla, Sophomore
September 19, 2017

“I am preparing for college by learning how to write applications. Also, I am building a resume and learning how to apply for student loans and grants. I am researching the requirements and majors into colleges like Point Loma and Fresno Pacific. These college fairs provide great opportunities in order to help prepare me. This is a good experience for those who take advantage. It also helps to get you exposed to these colleges and get on contact lists.”

Find a school that fits you
Dalton Kelley, Northwestern College representative
September 19, 2017

“Schools like us really want to know who the student is personally, so being yourself and really telling us about what makes you unique and what you can bring to the college will make you stand out. Academic credentials, SAT and ACT scores definitely stand out but we are also looking for a good Christian fit for Northwestern. We are an intentionally Christian school so we want students that will add to that. We look for students that will add to Northwestern and will help create a positive and encouraging Christian atmosphere. My advice is to look at the college itself and don’t look at the location and price first of all, look at if it’s a right fit for you.”

[/media-credit] Cate Vander Kooi, ’18, asks a college representative questions during the college fair.

Trusting God with decisions
Tyler Villines, Senior
September 19, 2017

“What comes with preparing for college for me, is making sure that I find the right college that I really want. One that I can afford and one that has the majors that I want, because I want to go into worship ministry. I love these campus events where the colleges come because I’ve known in my heart what schools I would love to go to and what schools I would enjoy since my sophomore year. It was stressful at first to figure out which college I wanted to go to, but God really does open the door to which school He is calling you to and right now there are three that I am perfectly satisfied with which are, Cal Baptist University, Fresno Pacific University and Grand Canyon University.”

Students involved in community
Teisha Borja, Corban University representative
September 19, 2017

“I think that most colleges are looking for students who are well-rounded, involved citizens, participating citizens, at least at Corban University, something that we’re looking for specifically is students who are involved in their community, so any community service and any leadership. Those are some things that kind of boost your application in general, how involved you are in your community helps as well. I think that being involved, whether that’s in your church, at any organization in your community or putting you out there in different events is definitely a way that colleges will look in your direction.”

Hard work
Colton Allen, Sophomore
September 19, 2017

“I’m just working as hard as I can in terms of high school. You got to have good grades in high school to get into a good college. College fair is very beneficial because they give you a lot of options and they let you see what is laid out in front of you. You can talk to direct representatives. It is great having people all around me that I can talk to. I’m looking for psychology programs because that’s kind of where I want to go and great journalism programs. Also, a music minor is more important than a major because I’m already doing the music thing. So I am just looking for some good programs.”

Finding an interest
Ashley Winchell, Junior
September 19, 2017

“I’m not quite sure about college yet, but I know what I want to do and what I’m interested in, which is graphic design. My top three colleges that I’m  thinking about going to right now are Fresno State, Clovis Community, and Fresno Pacific. Fresno Pacific has more of a Christian environment and Clovis Community is right down the street from Fresno Christian, and my sister went there also.”

[/media-credit] McKensie Neal, ’18, takes notes about different colleges.

Passion and leadership
Malachia Lawrence, Point Loma Nazarene University representative
September 19, 2017

“We look at students holistically not just academically. We want to know what you’re passionate about and what you want to study. I would suggest taking about any leadership opportunities that you can if you want to go to Point Loma. I would advise students who are interested in Point Loma to also stay on top of your grades for scholarships and make connections with people who can give you good letters of recommendation.”

Plan your future
Rebekah MicuSophomore
September 19, 2017

“I am preparing for college by working hard in high school so I can have good grades on my application when I apply to college. The most stressful part has been I don’t know which one to choose, whoever wants me the most is the one I’m choosing. My advice for younger students are start looking ahead, plan out your future sooner than later.”

Colleges with music programs
McKensy NealSenior
September 19, 2017

“I looked at William Jessup, Azusa Pacific, Vanguard, and Fresno State. They all have great music and theatre programs. I’m planning on majoring in either music or history. William Jessup stood out to me the most because they have a fantastic musical theatre program that could possibly give me a job.”

Slideshow images below from the FC College Fair 2017, Sept. 19.

[rev_slider alias=”collegefair2017″]

What was your opinion about the college fair? Comment your thoughts in the section below.

For more articles, read Varsity cheerleaders prepare next team for success.

For more articles on college, read Fresno Area College Night showcases 100 colleges.

This author can be reached via email: [email protected].