Join the Discussion: Favorite books

FC parent Jason Geil, reads a picture books with his daughter Olivia Geil in class for Dads Day, Feb. 26.

Students share views on reading and rereading books

There’s something so comforting to many about familiarity in rereading books. Normally, a person’s list of books to read continues to grow as the years go on, but reading favorite books and ones that are familiar over and over always feels satisfying to many avid bookworms.

[/media-credit] Normally, a person’s list of books to read continues to grow as the years go on, but reading favorite books and ones that are familiar over and over always feels satisfying to many avid bookworms.

Rereading books, although less popular than reading books for the first time, can provide a new perspective on the plotline and characters and expose readers to new details they missed beforehand. A list of favorites from students and authors follow below.

Reading can be used as an escape.
Megan Raynes, Junior
September 20, 2017

“My favorite book is The Healer by Dee Henderson. It is actually part of a series which I am absolutely obsessed with! I love this particular book because you go on an emotional rollercoaster but ultimately find peace in Jesus,” Raynes said. “I’ve reread this series almost 50 times because every time I read it I get something new from it that helps me in my daily life. I think everyone should read! Reading helps you explore new worlds with your imagination. Reading can also be used as an escape from your daily life.”

It’s not exciting.
Ethan Hamm, Sophomore
September 20, 2017

“My favorite book is Robinson Crusoe, and I love that book because, it is such an interesting take on the human mind, and how we react to a freak incident or something so unnatural. I have never reread a book and I don’t like reading books. For me, reading is a one-time thing. I already know what’s about to happen and so it’s not as much of a shock when something happens. It’s not exciting.”

More details rather than the basics.
Kayden Marquez, Sophomore
September 20, 2017

“My favorite book is the Hatchet. I’ve read a lot of school books or childhood books just because I’m not very into reading nowadays. Even though I’m not a huge fan of reading books, I think reading is an amazing way of expressing images and feelings through words. I think rereading books allows you to get more details in the book rather than just trying to figure out the basics.”

Gain a deeper understanding.
Vijay Stephan, Freshman
September 20, 2017

“I have reread: The Actor and the Housewife, Undomestic Goddess, and the Harry Potter series. I have reread other books too but those are the ones that stick out in my head. I like rereading books because it helps me understand them more. I usually only reread a book if I really liked it.

“It is also enjoyable for me because the book is a good one in the first place. I don’t feel there is a specific purpose for rereading books except to enjoy them more and gain a deeper understanding of them.”

Different perspectives on the characters and plot.  
Erin Wilson, Senior
September 18, 2017

“My favorite book is Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (J.K. Rowling). The books I have reread are Flipped, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone and The Hobbit.” Wilson said. “I like rereading books because it gives me a different perspective on the characters and the plot.”

[/media-credit] Nina LaCour and her most recent book, We Are Okay.

Gain a new experience.
Joshua Oakley, Senior
September 18, 2017

“My favorite book is To Kill a Mockingbird, I find the message of equality and fighting for a cause you believe in great. I have reread Frankenstein, To Kill a Mockingbird, and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I enjoy rereading books because I see something differently or experience something new that I hadn’t before. I just like to read books.”

Rereading gives a new perspective.
Alexander Rurik, Junior
September 17, 2017

“My favorite book is East of Eden by John Steinbeck who also happens to be my favorite writer.” Rurik said. “The book is so beautifully written, so intricate and thought-provoking that every time I read it, I get something different out of it. It’s such a well written, complex book that I love so much. I don’t normally reread books, but when I do, it’s usually a book from the Sacketts series by Louis L’Amour.”

You get much more out of them.
Adalyn Richardson, Freshman
September 17, 2017

“I have reread the Harry Potter series before. I enjoy rereading books because you get much more out of them the second time.” Richardson said. “My favorite novel is the Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. It’s my favorite book because it’s a coming of age story about a boy and his destined social class.”

What do you think about rereading books? What’s your favorite book? Join the discussion by sharing your thoughts in the comments below.

This article was inspired by this article by Young Post

For more articles on books, read We Are Okay book review. For more articles, read Eunie McEntee impacts cheerleader’s lives.

This author can be reached via email, Twitter, and Instagram.