Senior point guard leads boys basketball

Often the authority of a team rests on one player?s shoulders. When the team is down and the pressure is rising, a point guard is required to set up the offence.

Having two years of varsity experience, senior Wesley Wells now playing starting point guard for the Eagles.

?I have played basketball since fourth grade and I love it,? Wells said. ?Playing with the school team has been amazing. I want my basketball career to go as far as my talent takes me.?

The season start at the Kerman Kiwanis tournament seemed a bit rocky for the team as they finished 1-3. In their first game, FC ran with Coalinga throughout the first two quarters but was down three points at half, 28-25. Coalinga pulled away in the third when they outscored the Eagles, 17-9. Wells led the Eagles with 16 points.

?Wes is a fine basketball player,? coach Mike Neal said. ?He is one of the captains and a good leader.?

Neal plans on improving last years? league record of 8-6, and an overall record of 14-13.

?We have four returning varsity players,? coach Neal said. ?Having returning players is good because they are leaders and are knowledgeable.?

After the tournament at Kerman, the boys? traveled to San Diego where they ended the Small Schools Invitational Tournament with a 2-2 record. In FC?s 56-40 win over Midway Baptist, Wells scored 10 of his 19 points in the second quarter.

?The team is getting ready for the game and the goals are like what all teams want to do,? coach Neal said. ?We hope to do well in league and go to playoffs.?

Prior to the West Sierra League starting, the basketball team will play in the Central Valley Christian Invitational on Dec. 20-23. The campus team will then host the Holiday Championships on Dec. 27-30.

While Wells currently leads the team, Ronnie Giannetta, ?08, also contributes to the game.

?I have played basketball since kindergarten,? Giannetta said. ?Basketball was cool and it still is. Another thing that made me want to play is that it looked like fun.?

The varsity boys? basketball team will play their first league game against Liberty-Madera Ranchos. It begins at 7:30 P.M. on Jan. 3.

For more information regarding boys? varsity basketball, contact coach Neal at 307-7905.