Silver screen showcases Night of the Stars

Night of The Stars, one of Fresno Christians most anticipated traditions, will be held on Feb. 11, 2006. The past events have been magical and memorable, and this year will be no different.

Night of The Stars is Fresno Christians alternative to a winter formal. Students who attend the evening will partake in a catered dinner and then enjoy the four movies created by their classmates. These movies are filmed usually a month and a half before the event.

Production meetings are currently being held and anyone who is interested may attend. Most classes will begin filming this Christmas break at locations all over Fresno.

The seniors will be portraying Groundhog Day, the juniors will film The Most Dangerous Game, the sophomores James Bond, and the freshmen will spoof The Sandlot.

This event is a culmination of student activity that has been going on for the past couple months. For some seniors, it is the climax of their last year in high school.

“When I was in school here at Fresno Christian, we had no dances,” Chris Schultz, video productions teacher, said. “For winter formal, we would spend money on limos and flowers, and then we would go to a hotel reception hall, and eat high priced meals. Then we would go home.”

The idea for a night of the stars originated when Schultz was in high school. His class held the first Night of The Stars, and began the tradition that would be their legacy.

“I was in leadership, and we were at a convention in Santa Cruz were we first heard an idea for an alternative to dances,” Schultz said. “Out of that convention emerged the Night of The Stars idea.

“The first Night of The Stars was in 1991,” Schultz continued. “We had to use VHS to make the movies, and they were really bad. We continued doing it for a couple of years, and then quit for two or three years. I came back to teach and started it back up again, and we have been doing it every year since.”

The entire event has evolved over the years. Movie viewing locations have moved off campus, and into bigger venues. With the help of new equipment, the movies have gotten easy to make, and the quality of the movies has improved.

The strong point of Night of the Stars has always been the fact that it involves more students than any other school event.

For senior class information on times and filming, contact Kaley Hearnsberger at 392-7369, or Spenser Koleen at 930-4426.

For more information on the junior movie, contact Aaron Ortiz at 322-4776. For more on the sophomore movie talk to Sean O’Neal at 392-8211. Freshmen can contact Mitchell Callisch at 433-8722 for filming times.