Fall season offers family, friend oriented activities

Central Valley provides recreational activities during autumn

The fall season is upon us and there are many activities for friends and families to enjoy in the Central San Joaquin Valley. From pumpkin patches to corn mazes, there is no shortage of things to do.

[/media-credit] There are many fall festivities to enjoy in the Central Valley ranging from haunted houses to pumpkin patches.

FCS bonfire and 33rd FCS homecoming: This Thursday, Oct. 5, there is an all high school bonfire at the Nale’s Winery from 6-8:30 p.m., students who can drive are asked to drive themselves, but there will also be a school bus taking kids down at 5:45 p.m.

This purpose of the night is to support our football team as it is considered our fall football rally. The night will consist of inspiring speeches from the coaches, cheer performances and prayer by our football captain, Tyler Villines, ‘18. 

The next day, Oct. 6, is the 33rd annual FCS homecoming game against Riverdale Christian. Gates open with concessions at 6 p.m. with the homecoming court announced at 6:30 p.m. Game time is 7 p.m.

FCS choir concert: High school ensemble and mixed choir will perform Monday, Oct. 9, 7- 8:30 p.m., Peoples Church auditorium. They will sing multiple songs some of which will include, ‘The Wind That Shakes the Barley,’ ‘Ubi Caritas,’ and ‘Let All The People Say Amen.’

Hot air balloon rides: There are many hot air balloon ride opportunities here in Fresno California. One way to sign up is at Soaring Sports, the leading hot air balloon provider in America. There are both private and shared balloon rides call (559) 500-1661 to book your ride.

Another chance to experience hot air balloons is at the ClovisFest and Hot Air Balloon Fun Fly. Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 28-29, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Hobbs Grove: The number one haunted destination in the Central Valley including four different attractions, The Haunted Forest, Haunted House, Haunted Hayride and the newest installment, The Portal. The grove also includes food, pumpkins and a gift shop. Prices range from $45-60. Hobbs Grove is open most days through October.

Big Fresno Fair: The Big Fresno Fair is the largest annual event in the Central Valley drawing in crowds of over 600,000. Even though the fair is only open for two weeks, Oct. 4-15, they still offer many festivities rides, food, horse races, entertainment and much more.

[/media-credit] Last year, Feather staffers met at ClovisFest to watch the Hot Air Balloon Fun Fly early in the morning.

Many families enjoy going to pumpkin patches and looking for that perfect pumpkin to carve. For Alina Ochoa, ‘19, pumpkin carving is always a highlight her fall season.

“One tradition that my family has is pumpkin carving,” Ochoa said. We always lay the pumpkins out in front of our house after we carve them and it is fun to see the light up at night. I have never been to a haunted house before, but I would really like to go to one this year. I have also been to a couple of pumpkin patches which are always fun. I love looking at all the different kinds of pumpkins and picking out the right one for me.”

There are many places to buy pumpkins and enjoy a carnival-like environment around town. The following are the top five Pumpkin patches in Fresno area.

Hillcrest Pumpkin Patch
The patch location, 6943 S Reed Ave, Reedley, CA 93654. The pumpkin patch first opens Sept. 30, and they are open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. In the farm, there are hayrides, refreshments and train rides. The admission fee is five dollars.

Planet Pumpkin
Located, 640 E. Nees Avenue, E Nees Ave, Fresno, CA 93720. Pumpkin festival open Oct. 1, and they are open, 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. Planet pumpkin has pumpkins in all different sizes, shapes and colors along with carnival rides and food. There is no admission or parking fee.

Pumpkin King Patch
The Pumpkin King patch is coming up on its 33 years of being a Fresno attraction. Pumpkin King is on, 100 W Shaw Ave, Fresno, CA 93704. The patch has a large selection of pumpkins, gourds, straw bales, corn stalks and more.

Pumpkin Grove
The grove is located, 14265 E Goodfellow Ave, Sanger, CA 93657. General public admission starts, Oct. 21-22, and Oct. 28-29. The grove includes pumpkins, a mini corn maze and hayrides. It is open 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Vossler Farms Pumpkin Patch and Corn Maze
Vossler Farms is located, 26773 S Mooney Blvd, Visalia, CA 93277. Opening weekend is Sept. 30 – Oct. 1. There are a wide variety of attractions and food. This year the farm celebrates their 18th year of the ten-acre corn maze. They challenge everyone to venture through the maze and find the twelve checkpoints.

Freshman Rylee Schwab shares her fall traditions and what she hopes to do this coming season. She enjoys hanging out with her family and creating memorable experiences with her friends.

“My plans this fall are to hang out with my family and friends,” Schwab said. “I would like to go to pumpkin patches with and possibly a haunted house with them. I also plan to watch a lot of football with my dad. My family and I always look forward to carving pumpkins together and making pumpkin seeds.

[/media-credit] What are some of your favorite fall traditions or what do you hope to do this fall season? Let us know in the comments.

“Another thing my family does is trunk or treat at our church, Sonrise Church of Clovis, which is always fun,” Schwab continued. “Last year, I went to Hobb’s Grove with my friends, and we plan to go again sometime this year too, even though I didn’t really like it because it was super scary for me.”

For many people, the fall season stays low-key. Sophomore Max Munoz plans to relax, stay warm this fall. He enjoys going to seasonal attractions but would rather keep it simple. One memory he has is scaring his cousin Molly.

“My plans for this coming fall and Halloween season are to stay warm and really just have fun,” Munoz said. “For the actual night of Halloween I’m either going to take my brother trick or treating, or I’m going to a party with some friends. One attraction I’ve experienced is Hobbs Grove which was kind of interesting, but a lot of fun and scary. About five or six years ago I was planned to scare my cousin so I dressed up like a gorilla, hid behind a bush and jumped out so care her. Molly was so scared she peed her pants. It was hilarious!”

What are some of your favorite fall traditions or what do you hope to do this fall season? Let us know in the comments.

For more articles, read COLUMN: Engage in the news, avoid apathy. For a homecoming article, read Tuesday’s recap: Homecoming for Humanity: Topper Tuesday.

The author can be reached via email: Braden BellInstagram and Twitter.