Homecoming for Humanity: Wish-Upon-a-Star Wednesday

Princess pageant continues with bubble gladiators

[/media-credit] Teacher Kori Friesen matches with freshmen girls Samantha Portale, Caleigh Alday and Addie Richardson, Oct. 4.

With homecoming week halfway over, students anticipate day two of the princess pageant, Disney dress up day and Hume Lake Christian Camp visit. Students from all four classes continue to compete for bragging rights as homecoming’s best class.

Today the campus is overrun with students wearing Mickey Mouse ears and other Disney-related apparel. Some even go all out and wear a full superhero costume, while others wore a T-shirt with their favorite Disney character.

Carston Saelzler, ‘21, came to school in a full Spiderman costume. He wanted to make school more exciting by participating in dress up.

“I don’t get to dress up for school on a normal day,” Saelzer said. “I showed up to school wearing a full Spiderman costume. School can be boring that’s why I took advantage of the day and made it fun. Some people don’t know that Spiderman is a Marvel character and that Marvel is owned by Disney. That’s why I chose Spiderman.”

However not every student dressed up for their class for various reasons. Hunter Nale, ‘20, who dressed up in the previous days’ gear, ‘Merica Monday and Topper Tuesday, was in street clothes. Today he forgot the dress up theme and said he was tight on time.

I dressed up because I love my students. I wanted to participate because I love school spirit. I dressed up as Anna from Frozen because we have a lot in common. We are both flighty but we both have a lot of love in our heart. — Aubri Foster, student leadership advisor

“Well, I was in a bit of a rush this morning, so I didn’t dress up for Wish Upon a Star Wednesday,” Nale said. “I even have a Buzz Lightyear sweatshirt and everything, but I just forgot and was lazy. I do feel bad for letting my class down because we could have gotten more points to help us out. I will definitely try harder tomorrow to remember to dress up.”

Students were not the only one to dress up for today. Many teachers also participated today. Bible and leadership teacher Aubri Foster showed up to school in a full Anna costume, a character from Frozen.

“I dressed up because I love my students,” Foster said. “I wanted to participate because I love school spirit. I dressed up as Anna from Frozen because we have a lot in common. We are both flighty but we both have a lot of love in our heart.”

In day two of the Princess Pageant, student leadership brought out bubble soccer for the princesses to compete in. The princesses from each class clashed with each other on the pitch. The twist is that the princesses fought each other as gladiators in a bubble. Princesses clashed hard throughout lunch and the winner was sophomore candidate Avery Jones.  

The junior classes princess candidates are Alina Davila, Kamryn Schultz, and Ashley Zamarripa and all said they really enjoyed this unique activity.

“I’m having a really fun time being a princess,” said Zamarripa. “I’m also enjoying all of the lunchtime activity that we are doing. Today’s lunch activity was a lot of fun, but it was kind of hard because the ball was very heavy, and I fell a lot. I probably enjoyed today’s event more because it was a lot more intense and we got to play against our own classmate. I am looking forward to wearing my pajamas tomorrow and the last lunchtime activity.” 

[/media-credit] homecoming princesses participate in games during lunch, including bubble soccer, Oct. 4.

This year the 33rd annual homecoming theme is “Homecoming for Humanity.” The junior class chose Hume Lake Christian Camp. They will be making a shack similar to Hume Lake Snack Shop, a restaurant for visitors and staff there.

A representative from leadership Griffin Schmidt, ‘19, helped the class pick their non-profit organization.

“We picked Hume Lake Christian Camp because a lot of students in our grade has been to Hume,” Schmidt said. “All of us who went to Hume loved it and wanted other kids to have the same experience. We will donate all of our profits to Send a Kid Go to Camp. Our float is going to be awesome and I believe we will raise the most money.”

Not taking advantage of homecoming’s dress up days in his past 3 years at FC, senior Joshua Villa is excited to participate and be involved as much as possible in this week of homecoming.

“My favorite part was seeing Mrs. Foster dressed up as Anna from the Disney movie Frozen,” Villa said. “I dressed up in a Star Wars hat and shirt and it was funny watching the homecoming princesses play bubble soccer.

For yesterday’s recap article, read Homecoming for Humanity: Topper Tuesday. For more homecoming related articles, read Homecoming for Humanity: ‘Merica Monday, Homecoming for Humanity: PJ Thursday. Get to know the queen candidates!

The slideshow below features images from a variety of Wednesday’s activities:

[rev_slider alias=”2017homecomingwednesday”]

This author can be reached via twitter @JohnMonke and via email: John Monke