Scrap book memories build relationships

In an effort to preserve memorable experiences and activities, some may consign their memories to bulletin boards, picture frames, journals or the inside of lockers.

However others believe they have a better idea to save their precious reminiscences.

While scrap booking may seem to be an over 30 fetish, some students may change their mind when they discover the coverage in the yearbook does not always adequately display their personal activities.

?My sister and my mom scrap book together,? Aaron Gulack, ?06, said. ?When my mom is making a book for me she asks me to help pick out pictures but I?m not a very ?artsy? person so I don?t do anything besides that.?

While students have often mocked their parents? idea to scrap book, some seniors have found scrap booking to be an enjoyable time to create memories and build relationships.

?Scrap booking is a hobby that my mom and I started when I was young,? Kimberly Bimat, ?06, said. ?Ever since I was born my mom saved pictures, cut outs, and other memorable things so that when I grew older, now I can look back and reflect on past events. Not only is scrap booking fun but it has also been something for my mom and I to do together.?

Cheryl Cleverly partner with local Clovis scrap booking store, Pocketful of Treasures encourages students especially seniors to get a head start on saving memorable photos among other things as events occur.

?Scrap booking is a great way for parents and students to come together,? Cleverly, said. ?Senior year is especially important, for me it was the most unforgettable year.?

Cleverly explained that documenting stories, silly sayings, and fun activities along with several photos can all be part of your album.

?When you go away to college you will be able to look back and clearly recall special times,? Cleverly said. ?I gave a scrap book to my daughter when she graduated and she still treasures it.?

Workshops are held twice a week at Pocketful of Treasures located on 95 W. Shaw, for both parents and students to join. The classes are scheduled for Wednesday and Friday nights in the evening and the cost being $5-8.

?A lot of my friends scrap book instead of going out to the movies or dinner or some spend their time knitting or quilting,? Megan Genuser, manager of Pocketful of Treasures, said. ?Scrap booking is a craft, an outlet for people to display their own artwork in a different way.?

Another program called Creative Memories has created individually planned home parties for mothers and daughters to attend.

?Scrap booking has been a hobby for me,? Rebbeca Wilson, ?06, said. ?You don?t have to be artistic to scrap book; it?s your own personal collection of memories and you can create your own scrap book however you like.?

For more information on scrapbooking, call Pocketful of Treasures at 322-740 or go online to www.creativememories.com.