Director reflects on Much Ado

Now that our fall production is over, I’ve had time to reflect on the whole process of getting Much Ado Out West stage-worthy and I would like to relate some of these thoughts with your readers.

The road was not without the normal trials and challenges of putting on a two-act play. Perhaps the strangest turn came in the form of a decision to have our show in mid-January.

Again, this was our “fall” production and we had hoped to go home over Christmas break with the show under our belts. But schedules quickly filled up and it became difficult to see how we could get a full run in during the busy month of December.

So we took more than two weeks off right when we should have been putting on the finishing touches and risked a rusty start of rehearsals in the new-year. Much to my surprise, there was no rust. In fact, “crunch time” began in earnest as soon as the students arrived back in class on Jan. 3.

For two weeks the actors and crew diligently worked and it seemed to me that no one had missed a step despite our long break. I saw students being proactive and putting the ideas we’d talked about for weeks into motion.

The set was dynamic, innovative, and beautiful. The actors who worked within this setting lived up to their roles in a way I’d not seen before. They made it look easy. But it wasn’t.

I know how much effort and time went into Much Ado Out West. I’m so thankful to have such a talented group of students to work with. And what can I say about the audience?

I thought Friday (Jan. 13) couldn’t be topped as it was such a great show. But Saturday was just about standing room only. The crowd was so into it that the actors couldn’t help but push the envelope and the show was hilarious. If you were there you know what I’m talking about.

Thank you for all those who watched the show. You helped me create what I believe will remain a very special memory for a few high school actors, their parents,…and me.

Blessings.

Tom McEntee is the junior and senior high drama instructor