Campus soccer teams feature new coaches

Boys, girls soccer begins under new leadership

[/media-credit] Coaches David Bynum (left) and Matt Markarian are looking to lead the girls to another playoff run.

Due to last minute coaching changes, boys soccer coach Matt Markarian will now coach the girls’ team along with David Bynum following the departure of Marguerite Belanger. Last years boys assistant coach, Garrett Markarian, will lead the boys’ team along with Frank Brunnemann.

Entering his 23rd year of coaching at FC, Matt Markarian explains his passion for soccer and his history with the sport. He also explains his transition from coaching guys to girls and his hopes for this season. 

“I played soccer in high school and I also played club all growing up,” Markarian said. “Many people thought I would not continue coaching this year because my son (Jarrod Markarian, ‘17) graduated. However, I coached for 17 or so years before my son played here and I don’t plan on leaving anytime soon. I love coaching and I love the school and at this point, I think I’ve been here as long as anyone.

“The reason I transitioned to coaching the girls’ team had to do with timing,” Markarian continued. “They lost their coach at the last minute, Marguerite Belanger. I asked Frank Brunnemann, a family friend, if he could help coach the guys’ team and if he was up for it. He has experience with coaching guys and has a history with coach Garrett. This year I hope to provide stability to the girls’ team because I will be their fourth coach in four years. Also, I hope that they love Jesus, love each other and love the game.”

Freshman Faith Monroy is joining the high school soccer team for the first time. She looks forward to playing soccer at a higher level and enjoying her time with her friends.

“I wanted to join the team this year to get back into soccer and have a good season with my friends,” Monroy said. “I played soccer a lot when I was little, but took a break for a while. I cheered on the junior high team last year which got me in shape for the soccer season. My goals for this season is to rediscover my love for soccer and just to have a good season with my teammates.”

After helping coach the guys’ soccer team for the last couple years alongside his brother Matt, campus alumni Garrett Markarian, ‘99, will lead the team. Markarian has a history with soccer and holds the school record for goals scored in a high school career.  

[/media-credit] After helping his brother Matt with the boys’ team, Garrett Markarian is looking to lead the boys with experience.

“Currently I am coaching the second-ranked under thirteen boys team in the state,” Garrett said. “I have coached for CenCal Cosmos for 3 years. Last year when I helped my brother with the guys’ team I learned how to be a leader, push the players and have fun while playing. During my high school career at FC, I set a record by scoring 92 goals and lost the valley championship in double overtime my senior year– a game that still haunts me.”

New to the school but not to the sport, Frank Brunnemann begins his first year coaching the guys’ soccer team. He has played soccer for as long as he can remember and believes it has changed his life.

“I started playing soccer when I was four and continue to play to this day,” Brunnemann said. “Soccer has had a drastic impact on me over the years because it is how I met my wife, 17 years ago. It’s a part of our families everyday life with our three children playing competitive soccer and me coaching all of them at some point. My family is the biggest impact soccer could have given me.

“I think having a fun outgoing personality is vital to keeping players attention and enthusiasm to learn and play at their best,” Brunnemann continued. “I’ve had many coaching opportunities throughout my life and hope to bring those experiences to the team this year.”

Brunnemann grew up playing with Garrett Markarian and later was coached by his older brother Matt Markarian. The three have remained friends for years and are excited to be working together.

“We have been family friends for years,” Brunnemann said, “so when Matt asked for my help to coach at Fresno Christian I was both honored and happy to help the Markarian family in any way I can. Coaching with great people and friends is a blessing.”

[/media-credit] A friend of the Markarians, Frank Brunnenmann is entering his first year coaching soccer at FC.

Playing soccer since the age of five, Angel Ruelas, ‘20, decided to join the team so he could better himself as a player and possibly help out the school. Ruelas also explains his history with the sport.

“I began playing soccer around the age of five and have kept at it since,” Ruelas said. “I wanted to join the team this year to better my skills and to help out the school team. Another sport I participate in is karate which allows me to perform my acrobatic type of shots on the field, as well as helped me with flexibility.

“As the new coach goes, I think change is good,” Ruelas continued. “I believe we will learn more and become even better than the year before. One of my main goals is to ultimately be better than the day I was before. I have played on many soccer teams including Clovis Crossfire and Argentina which became known as Pumas. I’m very excited for this year at FC and I hope to contribute my skills to the team.”

For more sports articles, read Fall 2017 sports box scores. For another article, check out FC boys soccer sports short: Riverdale.

The author can be reached via email: Braden BellInstagram and Twitter.