Bowling offers low-cost fun

When thinking of sports, often Americans will picture either football or baseball. Yet while it may not be on the Sunday television guide, bowling is now the fastest growing sport in the nation.

British anthropologist, Sir Flinders Petrie originally discovered a crude form of the sport in the 1930s while excavating in Egypt. If his hypothesis is correct, then bowling traces its ancestry to 3200 BC.

?I think it is cool that bowling is still going strong,? Kelsey Penner, ?08, said. ?I enjoy going bowling with my friends and family. It?s really fun when you can laugh with friends at their mistakes like gutter balls.?

Many prefer bowling to other activities in view of its friendly surroundings and interaction with peers.

?Bowling is more of social environment,? Lindsey Brush, ?06, said. ?You can talk, laugh and just hang out with friends while you bowl.?

Reasonable costs also seem to motivate teens to bowl.

?I wish I had more time so I could go bowling,? Jeremy Ramos, ?07, said. ?It costs about the same price as the movies but offers more fun.?

Although many do not take bowling seriously, 40,000 students nationwide participate in bowling clubs or leagues at their school.

?My brother is on the Clovis West High bowling team this year,? Penner said. ?I usually go bowling with him and he is really good.?

When playing for a sports team, only few are selected who play. But many can enjoy bowling. Most can have fun despite their skills level and age.

?I think its cool that anyone can bowl,? Eric Beneke, ?07, said. ?There is no age limit or skill requirement to go bowling.?

Some find enjoyment in bowling regardless of skill, and find the experience pleasurable.

?Even though I am bad at it without bumpers, I love playing,? Molly Griffin, ?09, said. ?I like watching the bowl go into gutter.?

Another positive aspect of bowling is getting to know others for either a date or a late night activity with friends.

?Bowling can be for any reason like for dates or late night activities,? Brush said. ?It gives you a chance to talk and get to know the people you are with better.?

One game of bowling costs about the same as going to the movies. For instance, it is $4.50 per game at Sierra Lanes and shoe rental is $4.

Fresno has two main bowling allies: Cedar Lanes at 3131 N. Cedar Ave (222-4424); AMF Sierra Lanes at 6450 N. Blackstone Ave. (431-3711). Those who live in Clovis can bowl at AMF Rodeo Lanes at 140 Shaw Ave.

For more information on bowling and its history go online to the International Bowling Museum at www.bowlingmuseum.com.