Intentional resolve determines length of resolution

Every New Year on Jan. 1, millions of people around the world make New Year?s resolutions. Not surprisingly, the best intentions fall short before the end of January. So why then do people make them year after year if they really do not plan on going through with them?

?I always make a resolution on each New Year,? Derek O?Brien, ?08, said. ?However I think by now it?s just some sort of subconscious tradition or hopeless motivation; I never keep them.?

According to surveys at www.pr9.net, only 8 percent of Americans successfully achieve their New Year’s resolutions. A whopping 45 percent fail by the end of January (Free Press Release Submission).

“Most people set out to change something for the wrong reasons,” says author and columnist Andrea Rains Waggener.

Waggener suggests that if people made more achievable and realistic resolutions, then many more would be kept.

?I always keep my New Year?s resolutions, no matter what,? Josh Coccia, ?08, said. ?I think it?s just a matter of willpower.?

The main problem with New Year?s resolutions is on the shoulders of human nature. Often laziness comes into play. With inevitable weight gain during the holidays, many make goals for weight loss. But with the bustle of American life, most just simply do not find the time or dedication that is required for their goals.

For many, New Year?s resolutions have just become a matter of tradition.

?Every year I make one,? James Brown, ?06, said. ?I don?t have any intention on actually keeping it, but I do it anyway just for fun.?

Some do not bother to make any resolutions.

“I don?t even make them,? David Quenzer, ?07, said. ?I don?t feel the need to change anything about me.?

It is often best to start out with small goals that lead up to larger ones. A common mistake is that people plan to achieve a large goal or resolve to loose a certain amount of weight and they get overwhelmed with the task. It is much more beneficial to set horizons close, and in each succeeding month, set greater goals.

The best way to have a successful resolution is to determine the purpose and point of the resolution. One might ask why is the change needed and whether or not the change is for personal or for another?s reasons?

For more information, go online to www.pr9.net (Free Press Release Submission).