Teachers make new students feel welcome

First day jitters are a fact of life, but for the 18 transfer students and the countless freshmen on campus, first day nervousness took on a new meaning.

“I thought that coming to FCHS would be a better social environment and I would have better influences,” Heather Ableback, ’04, said. “I had to leave all my friends then make all new ones, but my first day of school went just fine.”

Teachers often help new freshman in the transition to high school and this year was no exception.

“Coach (Christopher) Schultz is my favorite,” Carson Belmont, ’05, said. “My first day of school was fine and dandy and my week was exciting and interesting.”

Belmont is a transferring freshman from Sierra View Elementary, which serves as a feeder into Sierra High School. Like most new students Belmont has high expectations for the year.

“My brother went here and I already knew a lot of people,” Belmont said. “I expect good grades and lots of fun this year.”

Many students look for positive changes with the new high school year.

“I wanted a change, something different, to get away from tradition, and to see what else is out there,” Beth Yanez, ’03, said. Beth went to San Joaquin Memorial last year before she arrived on campus.

“I expect to meet new people, and make new friends this year in high school,” said Yanez. “On the first day I was nervous and don’t know if school would be hard, if I was going to make friends, and what the people would be like. It was hard leaving my old school and all my friends but this is a great school and I am glad that I came. There are so many nice people here too.”

Atsuhiro Fukuchi is a transfer student who has spent a lot of time in Japan.

“I was so nervous on the first day of school,” Fukuchi, ’02, said. “I went to Clovis West last year and a friend told me about FCHS and recommended that I go here.”

However, changes schools does have its difficulties and most new students take time to adjust to their new surroundings.

“The only bad thing that has happened to me so far is that I had trouble opening my locker and algebra honors II is difficult,” Yanez said.

Yet students who come from large campuses are often have a positive reaction to FC’s size and potential for closeness.

“There’s a big difference between Clovis West and FCHS,” Fukuchi said. “It is a lot smaller here and the people are so nice. I have had no problems so far and it is easy to make friends.”