WSL officers meet, discuss activities

Student leadership representatives traveled to Mendota High School on Jan. 23 for the West Sierra League [WSL] meeting. The WSL meeting was a chance for students from all schools in the league to talk about subjects such as Cat 6 testing, sports, springtime activities, student recognition and Sadie Hawkins.

?All the other school in our league have dances, like for Sadie Hawkins and Valentine?s Day,? senior Tara Albrechtson, student body president, said. ?But since we do not have dances at our school functions, we share our creative ideas with them to have fun other than getting a DJ and dancing in the gym.?

Each of the schools in the league shared with member student leaders their plans and discussed ideas.

?It also gives us a chance to be an example for Jesus Christ,? Ericlee Gilmore, student leadership adviser, said. ?Hopefully our actions and attitudes reflect love, mercy, grace and self discipline.?

The leadership students agree that the meetings are beneficial.

?It gives us a chance to discuss our ideas with other schools,? David Fujihara, ?08, said. ?And it gives us another chance to organize ourselves also.?

The next WSL event will be the February Talent Show. The campus finalists for the event are Derek George singing and playing guitar, and a garage band act including sophomores Derek O?Brien and Mike Prentice playing the drums and guitar.

The two acts will be traveling to other schools to compete every Wednesday beginning Feb. 1. Campus students will host the finals on Feb. 23 at 2 P.M.

?I think we?ll do a great job against the other schools in the talent show,? Prentice said. ?After hearing the other bands at the first school, I thought we sound really good.?

The next WSL meeting is March 23 at Liberty High School. For more information on the WSL meetings, contact the high school office at 299-1695, ext. 5 and ask for a leadership member.

For information on the WSL talent show, see the Jan. 27 article, ?WSL Talent Show finalists set,? written by Jennifer Rose, on The Feather.