A look into the Fresno City nursing program

Local nursing school offers career options

As seniors begin sending in their applications to various colleges, many may be curious as to what their options are. Fresno City College, a quick trip on the freeway from Fresno Christian, offers many programs, including the second largest nursing program in the United States.

[/media-credit] Fresno City’s nursing program is one of the largest in the nation.

Run by Director of Nursing Doctor Stephanie Robinson, it is a four-semester program that includes a combination of lectures, hospital clinical in which students learn from a practicing registered nurse, and simulation labs where they can hone skills on mannequins with human-like reactions.

Fresno City was established in 1910 and the nursing program has been a part of the college for over 50 years. The program has an 84.39% pass rate as of 2016/2017 on the National Council Licensure Examination, an exam that is taken by both associate’s degree and bachelor’s degree registered nurse candidates in order to practice. They hold up well with the rest of the country’s rates, making them competitive with schools like UCLA and Fresno State.

Third-semester student Felicia Torrez explains her favorite part of the program.

“I think that the diversity that the program brings in is my favorite, we have so many students from all over the valley, and I’ve got to meet a lot of different people that otherwise, I would not have met,” Torrez said. “Going into nursing I didn’t really expect a lot of teamwork but my group specifically, we really do work a lot together and we support each other and we’re always there to answer each other’s questions for reassurance and just support overall. I think that’s the best part.”

Each semester contains a variety of curriculum. Second, third and fourth semesters have specialties in lectures that range from obstetrics theory, pediatrics theory, geriatrics theory and psychiatric nursing.

Students have opportunities within each to learn the intricacies and details of the subject in lecture with a group of about 112 students and practice in clinical with 10-12 other students.

Fresno City nursing instructor Brett Hood shares his thoughts on nursing and the benefits of being in the field. 

[/media-credit] Mannequins in the classroom can be controlled by instructors and give students opportunities to practice skills.

It (nursing) has made me a more humble, patient and an observant person,” Hood said. “It allowed me to travel the country as a traveling nurse, going to hospitals in need of short-term staff (typically 3-6 month long contracts), I met my wife in a hospital (she was a nurse too), I am able to support my family comfortably and it still allows me many options regarding the type of work I desire.

“It is one of few professions that upon college graduation and after becoming licensed by the state, you can change jobs without going back for another degree or license,” Hood continued. “For example, working in the operating room as a scrub nurse and then deciding to work in the emergency room as a staff nurse or working in labor and delivery assisting with the birthing of babies, or working in an adult hospital versus a pediatric hospital, all can be done without returning to the university setting. Financially speaking the nursing profession is recession proof, meaning you will always have a job regardless of the health of our country’s economy.”

Nursing provides a flexible career field, with a variety of ways that those working can get their hours and many different specialties. In California, there are close to 300,000 actively licensed registered nurses working in hospitals. Nurses have many opportunities to work with others and constantly be learning.

[/media-credit] Clinical groups consist of 8-12 students, who shadow a Registered Nurse in the hospital.

Nurse at Community Regional Medical Center and 2012 graduate Michael Hernandez explains how Fresno City prepared him for work on the floor and shares advice for high schoolers looking into the field.

“I think City has a really good program; they really get you ready to go out there into the real nursing world because they are very hands-on, and I think that was very helpful in preparing me to be where I am,” Hernandez said. “If you’re interested in nursing I’d say be sure that you are planning on being committed to the time it takes. The nursing program takes up a lot of time, you have to study a lot, so definitely make sure that you’re ready to set time apart to study and time for clinicals.

Nurses are needed for the future, as a shortage is expected within the next few years. Students coming out of nursing school make a great living, and with so many options in which to continue their career, potential nurses have a bright future ahead of them.

A few requirements must be met before one can apply to the nursing program, and that checklist for college students can be viewed here. Applications for Fresno City College can be found here.

For more articles, check out Yamaguchi reflects on time spent in Japanese relocation camps

This author can be reached via email and on Twitter.