Day of love anticipated, ignored

Red roses, candy hearts and paper valentine cards flood the shelves of many stores. The month of love is now upon us.

However, there is a definite line between the ones who anticipate the special day and ones who dread its existence. Usually those without a significant other label the day as ?Single Awareness Day.?

?I heard about ?Single Awareness Day? from my friend and decided to take it to a whole new level,? Kira Armbruster, ?06, said. ?I collaborated with my friends and we decided to wear black- no pink. I plan on listening to Dashboard Confessional all day and watching anti-boy movies.?

While some plan on being anti-pink and anti-valentine, others anticipate the special day.

?I look forward to Valentine?s Day every year,? Andrea Munoz, ?06, said. ?I get to enjoy a nice dinner with someone who I really care about, and get to be treated like a princess for the whole day.?

Munoz?s beau, Aaron Gulack, ?06, plans to drive to Firebaugh to watch Munoz play her basketball game, with the rest of the evening being a total surprise.

?I?m excited to see what Aaron is cooking up,? Munoz said. ?For Christmas he sent me flowers, took me to dinner and planned a movie date at my house. So I?m sure he?ll make Valentine?s Day even more romantic, and an evening I will never forget.?

People become much more expressive of their feelings on this designated day of love, even the males.

?I?m planning to surprise my girlfriend Elizabeth [Mendrin, ?07] with a romantic night for two,? Derek George, ?06, said. ?I?m setting up a fire pit in her back yard for an evening picnic with food from our favorite restaurant, Panda Express. It will even include candles for atmosphere, and a TV for after dinner, so we can watch our favorite movie, Dumb and Dumber.?

Not everyone has romantic feelings during the month of February, but that does not have to mean negativity or bitterness. An enjoyable evening is still tangible on Feb. 14 without a significant other by appreciating the important people in life, friends.

?I?m planning on spending the night with a couple of my close girl friends,? Sarah Jimenez, ?08, said. ?We?re going to Olive Garden for dinner and probably watching some movies at my house afterward.?

Spending the night with friends instead of a loved one seems to be the plan for the majority of campus students according to The Feather?s online poll. In the Jan. 31 article ?Valentine?s expressions, motivations vary,? by Drake Olson, students go into detail about their plans to go out, have fun, and just relax with close friends.