College entrance exams begin

The Fresno City College (FCC) Assessment Test has arrived again. Any seniors planning on attending to FCC or Clovis Center took this test to determine what English class they will be assigned to in fall.

This test was given on campus on Feb. 14 at the request of administration to students who have applied to FCC or Clovis Center. It is offered on campus to make it more convenient for students to take the test and be secure with their plans for college.

?Students have to take classes like English1A in order to transfer to a bigger college like Fresno State University,? Jon Endicott, associate principal, said. ?If the students are not prepared, they will have to take two to three classes before the general classes needed to graduate.?

Eighteen students showed up this year to take this assessment, taking one more step towards their future college planning.

This assessment test will determine where the students will be placed in their English classes. If the students do well on this test they move ahead with college courses, which count towards graduation.

?Everyone attending FCC has to take this test,? Endicott said. ?Maybe 20-25 seniors take the test every year and our students score higher then most the other schools in this area.?

According to test administrator, Michelle Ruby, campus students have faired well on the exam compared to other schools in the area. Last year (2005), 38% of students were eligible to take English 1A, a college level course. Only 20% of students at Buchanan and 22% at Clovis High were qualified after taking the exam.

?Students at Fresno Christian always impress me with their scores,? Ruby said. ?Many students only have one English class to prepare them for English 1A. But almost half the FC students pass directly into college English.?

Other test days are available to the students but they are offered on the college campuses as part of the many preparations students need to take before they go off to college.

?The expectations in our English classes meet and exceed the college and university requirements students will face after high school graduation,? Endicott said. ?If student put in the time and effort in school during their years at Fresno Christian, they will be prepared for college level work.?

The tests are available at FCC every Thursday until June. The next date for taking the test is March 2 at FCC.

?We offer the test on campus to make it more convenient for our students to take it,? Endicott said. ?The students have an opportunity to take this test that will affect their future.?

For more information on entrance requirements Fresno City College, go to www.fresnocitycollege.edu/counceling/assessment/.