Mamma Mia rekindles Abba craze

Lights, sequence and an array of colors and clothes hit Fresno?s William Saroyan stage on Jan. 17. The audience was lively, loud and the expectations high as the performers wowed the audience.

The Broadway smash musical Mamma Mia, based on the songs of ABBA, performed in Fresno from Jan. 17-22. The Broadway Company then moved the production to Pasadena, CA, Feb. 8-12, and San Bernardino, CA, Feb. 21 ? 26, after the Fresno performances.

Mamma Mia is a perfect mix of intriguing drama and complex situations that keeps the audience captivated.

The plot line features Sophie Sheridan, played by Bekah Nutt, longing to find her dad. She attempts to discover her roots by sending wedding invites three months before her special day to three prospective fathers.

When her mother, Donna Sheridan, played by Laurie Wells, encounters all three possible dads the day before the wedding at her inn, she begins to ?suddenly lose control? and rekindles the past that she tried to put behind her.

As the plot progresses Sophie gets entangled in a complex situation, in which all three possible dads find out why they are there and each one believes they are her real dad. Each one tells Sophie they will walk her down the aisle, which causes problems not only for Sophie but also for her moms encounter with her past.

This tale of comedy and enchanting love gave the crowd nostalgia through each of the 22 Abba?s numbers.

To some Fresno?s performance of Mamma Mia was a little disappointing because of the all around atmosphere.

?I?ve seen Mamma Mia twice, once in New York and then again in Fresno,? Jennifer Schmidt, ?06, said. ?To me the atmosphere was all around better in New York, the crowd was just more lively and really got into the play more than in Fresno.?

Mamma Mia is well known to any Abba fan, yet there are those who have never really heard of this Broadway hit.

?I really enjoyed seeing Mamma Mia, it is a lot different than anything I?ve ever seen,? Alicia Waters, 07, said. ?I think it would be interesting to see my reaction to it now that I know what to expect.?

For more information on Mamma Mia playing locations or on the play itself, go online to www.mamma-mia.com/.