Coke not the ‘real thing’ on campus

All over the world, when people need to quench their thirst, Coca Cola often is the first solution to satisfy their thirst. Coca Cola’s economic and political influence reaches beyond the United States and influences the daily lives of the world’s people. From humble beginnings on 1886 in Atlanta, time changed a “brain and nerve tonic”” into one of the leading beverages worldwide.

On May 8, 1886, Atlanta druggist Dr. John Stith Pemberton invented “”Coca-Cola”” syrup. Popularity of Coca Cola increased steadily as advertisement drew more people to a new carbonated form of Pemberton’s syrup. The production and distribution of the syrup requires low costs ingredients and materials.

There are many steps into making raw materials into the finished product of Cola Coca. One of these production plants is located in Fresno Country area. The Fresno Production plant would not reveal the specific amounts of sweeteners, water, carbon dioxide and their “secret formula”, but did say that they produce several hundred gallons of Cola Coca per day.

Peoples Church campus in particular does not receive Coca Cola from any plant in the Valley despite the fact that there are approximately 6,400 people on the Peoples Church campus per week.

“The Peoples Church campus is not a high priority section of Fresno,” Phil Williams, Coca Cola Public affairs officer, said. “We hope that in the near future the population base having preference to Coke will increase.”

A Feather poll agreed with Williams. Forty randomly chosen students were asked their soda preference. The results were 14 prefering Coke, 20 prefering Pepsi and 6 having no preference.

“If I had to chose between Coke and Pepsi,” Phillip Ocheltree, ’04, said, “I would chose Pepsi. The syrup in Coke is just too thick at times, where as Pepsi has a lighter syrup and taste. I think Pepsi has a more refreshing feel to it.”

Some students felt otherwise.

“I would try Coke over Pepsi because Coke has more favor than Pepsi,” Amanda Woodring Pjerrou, ’02, said. “Pepsi feels and taste like you’re drinking battery acid and is very nasty.”

In 1888 Asa Griggs Candler bought Coca Cola from Dr. Pemberton and by 1914 Candler had acquired a fortune of around $50 million. In 1918 a group of businessmen led by Ernest Woodruff bought the company from Candler and on April 28, 1923 Robert Woodruff was appointed president of Coca-Cola.

Woodruff presented Cola Coca to the world through advertisements from the Olympics to hot dog stands in other nations. From Coca Cola’s international debut in 1928, the company’s products are currently recognized by over 96 percent of the world’s population.

Coca Cola strives to grow and uphold the same standards of quality in the 21st century as they have been since the early 1880s when they were founded.

For more information on Coca-Cola or Pepsi, go online at www.coca-cola.com/ or www.pepsi.com/” “Carli Albrechtson, Retired photographer” “While Pepsi is the preferred drink on campus, Adam Leslie, ’04, is a Coke drinker.” “Carli Albrechtson, Photographer” “Pepsi has contracted with campus administration to supply students with its products. Here Jennifer Smit, ’03, takes advantage of the lunch period to pay for and enjoy some liquid refreshment.” “Coca-Cola

Pepsi