Entrepreneurs promote products

With college approaching quickly, study course options are endless. In Robert Foshee?s economics class, the possibility of pursuing business ventures creates a spirit of entrepreneurship for students. As an annual tradition, students are challenged to create a new product and sell it to the student body.

The economics class will sell their original products to the junior and senior high in the Ground Zero quad to encourage students to pursue entrepreneurial endeavorson March 8.

?This project is made to help students better understand the process of entrepreneurship,? Foshee said. ?It?s a hands on approach to see what entrepreneurs go through to develop, market and sell their products.?

Seniors Kassy Batesole and Katrina Stevenson are two examples of students participating in this event. By adding ribbons and crystals to seashells, the girls will promote a whole new style of accessories.

?We plan on making seashell jewelry,? Batesole said. ?We?re trying to transform the fad of regular shell jewelry into a more sophisticated and fun look.?

Their hair clips will range in cost from $1.50-$4 and necklaces will be from $5-7.

With the experience and guidance that Foshee has offered, Batesole and Stevenson hope to continue their project beyond the classroom assignment.

?I have always wanted to own my own fashion business, and this project has helped me learn a little bit of the business aspect of working in a partnership,? Batesole said. ?We plan on expanding on our product and gaining more experience in the business world.?

For some students entrepreneurship is not a new idea. Senior Dan Crosby has turned his personal interests into a job.

During his free time Crosby creates his own metal works of art out of steel, brass, bronze, iron and aluminum, which he sells at local war reenactments.

?I started this because my parents wanted me to do something with my time,? Crosby said, ?It has taught me a lot about the stock market, just on a smaller scale.?

On average Crosby expects to make $50 at each event.

?I can?t make living at this yet,? Crosby said. ?But I do make money and its fun.?

Not only do students need to let their creativity flow in this project, but they also have to learn to budget their money, which can sometimes be a hassle.

?Blacksmiths tend to spend more money than needed,? Crosby said. ?You have to force yourself to keep to the bare minimum.?

The class will be marketing their products to the student body beginning at 11:40 A.M. During the junior high and high school lunches, students will have the opportunity to buy the items that these young entrepreneurs have worked to create. Items will range in cost from $.25 to over $15.

For more information on the economics project, please contact Foshee at [email protected].