Band performs at ACSI festival

The high school concert band will be traveling to the Association of Christian Schools International [ACSI] festival on Feb. 24 to prepare for their Fine Arts Concert on March 7 at the North Fresno Church.

As part of the competition, the band will play pre-selected songs in front of three judges. After the judges listen to the songs, they will make suggestions and compliments.

?We are returning to the festival this year,? Paul McEntee, band director, said. ?It acts as motivation to perfect songs as much as possible.?

Not only do the judges listen and make comments, they will also rank the bands participation. Last year the band received the ranking of unanimous superior, the highest ranking possible.

Even with a young band, McEntee believes the students? ability to learn quickly will earn them another unanimous superior ranking.

?I think we will do well,? Ben Dang, ?08, said. ?We even have a practice scheduled for after school to perfect some songs like ?Overture for Winds? and ?Longford Legends? before the festival. I think it will do as good as last year.?

In addition to performance, the band will also be listening to other bands hoping to improve and learn from the different point of view.

?Listening to other schools is beneficial,? McEntee said. ?It allows students to see the type of music other schools play and to see others strengths and weakness.?

Many students? expectations are high about the festival regardless of few brass players.

?I think we will do well considering we have limited low brass,? Hayley Volpa-Olson, ?09, said. ?Going to this festival is good because the judges usually have positive things to say. It is good to get someone else?s opinion and it helps Mr. Mac conduct.?

Some of the students appear confident despite the judges? presence, but find comfort by the company of the whole band from past experiences.

?I have been playing in this festival since seventh grade,? Dang said. ?It is not hard playing in front of judges because you not playing be yourself but with the whole band.?

The festival will be held in Modesto at Modesto Christian Schools. The band will be leaving campus at 7 A.M and will be returning at 3:30 P.M.

For more information about band, email McEntee at [email protected].