Baseball beats Tranquillity back-to-back

BASEBALL–
Baseball’s overall record, 4-19, and 4-10, in the WSL as of May 12.

SEASON END

FOWLER 12, FC 3 on MAY 12–
The baseball team ended their season at home but were beaten, 12-4 by Fowler.

Due to baseball’s struggles, The Feather did not continue to summarize each game from April 7-May 8.

FC 12, TRANQUILLITY 4 on MAY 10–
Baseball beat Tranquillity, 12-4, for their second straight win.

FC 16, TRANQUILLITY 13 on MAY 9–
Both teams came out of the gate hitting and running and were tied at 9 after two innings on May 9. Two struggling teams met to salvage some respect and build towards next season.

Errors took a toll in the first inning as FC fell behind 6-0 but the Tigers returned the favor and FC tied the game.

While FC took a 11-9 lead into the fifth inning, the Tigers blew open the game with 4 runs in the bottom of the fifth to take a 2-run lead. However, FC would not fold this time and scored 5 runs of their own to put away Tranquillity. The two teams will meet again on May 10.

FC senior Jordan Hogue led the way with 2-3 with 2 triples while Colton Hutchens also had a 2-3 day with a triple and Steven Williams got the win.

In the top of the six, Hogue came up with two outs in the top of the 6th and hit one of his triples with two men on base to secure the win.

“While we have played poorly this year, we have hung together as a team and today we pulled it out,” Hogue said. “We stayed focused and a few people made some key hits for us. It was great to pull out a win.”

FIREBAUGH 7, FC 0 on April 6–
Practice this week was focused on cutting down their errors and FC mostly succeeded in their goal, except for the second inning. FC went on the road and was beaten by Firebaugh, 7-0, on April 6. The host Eagles scored in each of the first five innings to slowly pull away.

Firebaugh led 1-0 after the first inning when they scored three in the second inning after three errors and a couple of breakdowns.

“We made some key mental errors and a couple of physical errors,” Jordan Hogue said. “However, we did make better contact with the ball this game. While last game we did not play well physically, today we broke down mentally which gave them the game.”

According to Hogue, coach Jon Hall and the team did talk after the game about keeping their heads in the game.

“We talked about how we gave Firebaugh most of their runs,” Hogue said. “They are not that much better than we are and, if we would have stayed in the game mentally, it would have been a lot closer. We are a young team and these kinds of problems are bound to happen.”

MENDOTA 19, FC 2 on March 31–
Mendota used a 4-run 1st inning and an 8-run 7th to defeat the Eagles, 19-2, on March 31. The Eagle highlights were limited to Jordan Hogue’s 2-3 and Colton Hutchen’s double.

CARUTHERS 12, FC 0 on March 28–
Caruthers scored five runs in the first and fifth innings and shut out the Eagles, 12-0, on March 28.

FC 7, RIVERDALE 4 on March 24–
With Jordan Hogue on the mound, FC did not let a couple of errors in the top of the third inning dampen their spirits. Hogue and the Eagles settled down and responded in the bottom of the inning with a flurry of runs on their own to defeat the Cowboys, 7-4, on March 24.

First baseman Jeremy Ramos highlighted the Eagle third inning with a two-run triple after the Cowboys had gone ahead by three runs. FC scored two more runs in the bottom of the third and added three more in the fourth to win for the first time this season. Ramos finished the day by going 2-3 with a triple and 3 RBIs.

Hogue pitched 5 innings and had 6 strike-outs and went 1-1 when he hit a double. Coleton Hutchens pitched the last two innings but also was hot with the bat going 2-4.

FOWLER 12, FC 1 on March 21–
After a tight first inning, the boys had trouble containing the Redcat offense in the 4th and 6th inning and dropped the WSL game, 12-1, on March 21. Fowler is now 8-3 overall and undefeated in the WSL.

Fowler led 3-1 after the first inning and then both defenses tightened up until the Redcats scored 3 runs in the fourth and added 6 more in the 6th inning to put the game away.

CVC 10, FC 9 on March 16–
With FC holding a 9-5 lead in the bottom of the 7th, CVC used cluch hitting and base running to steal a 10-9 game from FC. Earlier, the Cavaliers held a 5-1 lead but FC stormed back to its lead in the 7th.

Jeremy Ramos led the Eagles going 3-4 including a 3 RBI home run and ended the game with 4 RBIs. Coleton Hutchens also went 3-4. Almost the whole team had at least one hit in a game that just got away from the young team.

“This was a good game for this team,” coach Jon Hall said. “We faced nearly every situation we will face on game-days. I am impressed how we battled back, despite being down 5-1 to a very good team. While the ending was a heartbreak, we learned a lot about ourselves and just let it get away.”

RIVERDALE 9, FC 8 on March 11–
In the bottom of a double header, FC led by 3 runs going in to the 7th inning but could not hold back the Cowboys and lost, 9-8. The boys rebounded after a disappointing loss earlier in the day and nearly squeaked out a win against a co-member of the West Sierra League.

Junior Jeremy Ramos was again the leader on the field as he went 3-4 with a triple and 3 RBIs. Sophomore Coleton Hutchens batted 2-4. Jordan Hougue was the losing pitcher but had 11 strike-outs. The team has continued to improve despite the opening losses.

CHOWCHILLA 14, FC 1 on March 11–
FC scored first in the second inning but allowed 7 runs in the third and fell, 14-1, to Division III Chowchilla in the host’s tournament on March 11 in the first of two games.

Jeremy Ramos was the losing pitcher but had a double and later scored for FC’s only run.

DOS PALOS 8, FC 2 on March 8–
After consecutive rainouts which canceled the last four games, FC traveled to Division III Dos Palos and lost, 8-2, on March 8. After a scoreless first inning, the Broncos jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the second inning and added to their lead in the third and fourth innings to put the game out of reach.

However, after the Broncos led 8-0 in the top of the 7th inning, the Eagles did not wilt and scored two runs. Freshmen Tyler Graham and sophomore Anthony Wilson came off the bench to pace the Division V Eagle team to two runs.

CHOWCHILLA 16, FC 0 on Feb. 27–

After winter sports changes were made and playoffs competed, the baseball team finally was able to field a team on Feb. 27. However, after only one rain-shortened practice, the team of 11 players traveled to Chowchilla to face the Division III school.

“Our team is young and inexperienced,” coach Jon Hall said after the game. “But we were excited to play together for the first time. Everyone played and got a chance get their feet wet in a game situation rather than just on the practice field.”

Chowchilla was ready for the young Eagle squad who only field two seniors and one junior. The Redskins overwhelmed FC, 16-0, in six innings.

“”Yeah we have lots to work on,” Hall said, “but a road game to start the season is very positive. Apart from the score, we spent time getting to know each other off the field.”