Softball trains fresh team

Every team has disputes between coaches and athletes? commitment or support. Yet the obstacle for this year?s girls? softball is combining raw players into one team.

Unassisted coach Robert Foshee will begin coaching softball for his fifth season. He does not plan on changing coaching style, and currently has no concerns regarding the upcoming season and believes the team will be ready for West Sierra League play.

?I decided to coach because I played softball for a recreational league,? Foshee said. ?Coaching seemed like a good opportunity to help people get better in the sport.?

Foshee is confidence in this season?s shortstop, Christina Cabias, ?07. As team co-captain, Cabias must live up to her leadership role to keep the team motivated.

?Christina is really fun to be around,? Amanda Bearden, ?09, said. ?She makes a good leader and knows what she is talking about.?

Cabias does not view her position as captain as an obligation but rather an opportunity to help others improve.

?I do not feel pressure from Foshee,? Cabias said. ?I like being a leader on a team where I have more experience so I can help the other girls. This year will be a building year as we have several new players to the team. But there is a lot of talent so I think we?ll do well.?

Returning pitcher and captain Lindsey Brush, ?06, thinks the team has the potential to win league despite the limited experience.

?The team has talent,? Brush said. ?I think we will come out with a winning record. Our biggest weakness will probably be building up a new team because we are not use to each other yet. We also lost our catcher from last year so I?ll have to get used to someone else.?

The teams? first game will be against Laton on March 7 was rained out. The first league game will be at Mendota on March 16 at 4 P.M.

For more information regarding softball, e-mail Foshee at [email protected].