Lent teaches dedication, perseverance

Many show ways of demonstrating love from a bouquet of flowers to sending a greeting card, but all fall short to the ultimate sacrifice. Ending life so another may live exemplifies undying love and the principal of Lent.

Traditionally Catholics and some Christians give up something during Lent as self-sacrifice symbolizing Jesus? sacrifice. Lent customarily begins on Ash Wednesday [March 1] and ends on Holy Saturday, the day before Easter [April 15].

A poll was taken during March 1-8, asking the student body what they would give-up for Lent. The poll received 72 responses; 7% said they would give up a food product, 3% specified entertainment and 4 % said communication devices. However 71% posed the question: what is Lent?

?I do not know what Lent is,? Micaelah Aleman, ?08, said. ?I have never heard of it before.?

Similar to Aleman a majority of students have never heard of Lent or the guiding principals that inspire many to practice the traditions of Lent even today.

Often, people practice Lent in order to improve their character.

?I usually give up behaviors,? Ann Hawkins, ?07, said. ?Something I want to change or improve about myself, like allowing God to lead me, instead of leading myself. I chose things like this because it is more personal and benefits my relationship with God.?

The customary sacrifice of Lent is meant to hold significance and requires dedication; otherwise the purpose of the sacrifice seems useless.

?I chose to give up soda because I drank it all the time,? Bethany Morton, ?06, said. ?Lent teaches yourself self-discipline. It is hard when others tempted you but, the desire you have for something is the desire you should have for God.?

The idea of Lent seems to go beyond just religious practices.

?There is a contact track students must sign to eat healthier,? Larry Orender, long-jump coach, said. ?Healthy eating habits and drinking water to keep hydrated is important to be able to tune your body better.?

As part of the contract students are not appose to drink soda, stay away from fast food, eat more fruits and vegetables and go to sleep by 10 P.M.

?I try not to drink soda and keep healthy foods in my system,? Jason Savage, ?07, said. ?I like eating healthier foods, but during track season I need eat even healthier and watch my sweet intake.?

Orender believes the dedicated students follow the guidelines, which led seniors April Fujihara and Jennifer Vanden Hoek to voluntarily go on a sweet fast.

?We did not eat any deserts or candy at all,? Fujihara said. ?We were on the fast for about six weeks.?

Whether or not people participate in Lent, it is a beneficial way to encourage better habits and dedication.

For more information regarding Lent go online to www.therealpresence.org