BREAKING: Color guard places in first competition, Jan 27

Last weekend, the campus color guard team competed in their first show of the season at Clovis East High School, Jan. 27. As the only 7-12 grade team, they placed third out of nine schools in the Regional A Bronze category.

[/media-credit] FC color guard placed third out of nine schools in their first competition, Jan 27.
The circuit they perform in is The San Joaquin Valley Color Guard & Percussion Review (SJVCGPR), one of California’s oldest competitive circuits in the areas of Color guard, Marching Percussion and Concert Percussion ensembles, with the inception in 1982.

Sanger HS took first place while Hoover HS finished second. Other schools in the competition included Sunnyside HS, Madera South, Firebaugh HS, Roosevelt HS and Chowchilla HS.

Instrumental music teacher Lesley Bannister displays pride in the team placing against larger high schools. She anticipates the improvements made by the end of the school year.

“I am so proud of our team,” Bannister said. “They have been putting in long hours and working hard to learn this routine. For us to be able to win 3rd place going up against these huge schools is a huge accomplishment. We are really pushing the students this year with new techniques and more challenging work. They are really rising to the challenge and I can’t wait to see where they go this season.”

Sophomore Brittany McCann is a veteran on the team. She hopes to bring the newer members of the team to the same level.

The competition went really well,“ McCann said. “We placed third out of nine schools. We’re trying to bring our newer recruits up to the same level as the rest of us are. Most of us have about three to four years of experience. We’re trying to get them up to the same level, make our show more dynamic and add in more characteristics.”

Color guard’s next competition is at Clovis North High School, Feb. 9. Go out and represent the school by supporting the campus color guard team.

Brennen Tozlian, ‘21, and sophomores Cassandra Ledet (left), and Shauna Howard compete in the first color guard show of the season at Clovis High East, Jan. 27. FCS is the only 7-12 grade team competing in the Regional A Bronze category against Sanger High, Hoover High, Sunnyside High, Madera South, Firebaugh High, Roosevelt High and Chowchilla High. Congratulations to Sanger High for receiving first, Hoover High for second and @fresnochristianschools took home third place! The circuit they perform in is The San Joaquin Valley Color Guard & Percussion Review (SJVCGPR) is one of California’s oldest competitive circuits (1982) in the areas of Color guard, Marching Percussion and Concert Percussion ensembles. Way to go! #sjvcgpr #thefeather #FCcolorguard

A post shared by The Feather (@thefeatheronline) on

For more related articles, read Color guard team prepares for competition season. For more articles, check out EDITORIAL: California on the edge of another drought.

This author can be reached via twitter @alexrurik23 and via email: Alexander Rurik.