3-on-3 adds to March Madness

The Fresno Christian three-on-three basketball intramurals are well underway in their own version of March Madness right along sides the National Basketball Association [NBA] playoffs and the National Collegiate Athletic Association [NCAA] Tournament.

The second annual three-on-three began on March 9. Over 20 teams entered the tournament, each hoping to emerge champions on April 5 in the Peoples Church gym. Sixteen teams will qualify for the single elimination tournament that will begin on March 27.

Teams are made up of any three students, ranging from freshman to senior guys and girls. Teams are limited to having only one varsity basketball player.

?My all-star teammates are [seniors] Gary [Darakjian], Tara [Albrechtson],? Mathew Brouwer, ?06, said. ?We are having fun and doing well and winning some games. I?m the dominant big man in the tournament, no one has the physical ability to stop me.?

The basketball intramurals allow students to come together and watch their fellow classmates engage in competitive rivalry outside regular sports teams. It is also provides a chance for underclassmen to interact with seniors, who would otherwise be off campus.

Simultaneously occurring with Fresno Christian’s tournament is the National College Basketball Tournament. March Madness brings 64 of the nations best college teams together to compete for the overall title to be announced at Indianapolis.

To promote March Madness, Josh Tosland, math teacher, is currently accepting tournament brackets. Students predict the winners of each game through the season, all the way to the final two and record them on a tournament countdown-scale. The winning bracket will receive a special prize.

?I watched SportsCenter and went to Sports Illustrated?s website every day to help me fill out my bracket.? Daniel Kessler, ?06 said. ?I then discussed it with my peer experts, and then made my picks. I have Villanova by 2 over UCLA in the final.?

The Fresno Christian tournament will be held during lunch through the end of March, while the National tournament will conclude on April 3. March Madness games are currently aired on CBS.

For more information on the NCAA tournament, go online to www.sportsillustrated.com.