Join the Discussion: 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics

Students weigh in on PyeongChang Winter Olympics

[/media-credit] The 2018 Winter Olympic games in PyeongChang, South Korea, last from Feb. 9 – 25, 2018.

What is your favorite part about the Olympics? Let us know in the comment section below.

Although the winter seems all but over here in California, the Winter Olympics in PyeongChang, South Korea are in full swing. Americans across the nation are pulling for their favorite athletes and teams to come out victorious on the podium.

From figure skating to ice hockey, curling to snowboarding, the Winter Olympics connect people from all backgrounds. Students share their favorite Winter Olympic sports and what they enjoy about the 2018 Olympics.

Freestyle enthusiast
Brandon Brogan, Junior
February 21, 2018

“The Winter Olympics are also something fun to look forward to. I aways enjoy watching the snowboarders and skiiers on the halfpipe do their crazy tricks. I especiall enjoy watching Shaun White and loved his gold medal run this year.”

Prefers the Summer Olympics
Suky Cheema, Junior
February 21, 2018

“My favorite part about the Winter Olympics is watching all of the amazing stunts that the snowboarders do. It’s crazy to see how a simple hobby like snowboarding can be thrown into the Olympics and be used as a way for people our age representing their countries. I prefer the Summer Olympics because there’s a lot more sports I watch regularly that are usually on during the Summer Olympics. But the Winter Olympics are a good way for me to learn new things about different sports like figure skating and curling. 

Too busy to watch
Jonah Lozano, Junior
February 20, 2018

“I don’t watch the Olympics because I’m busy. I like watching some sports in the summer like track. I also like to watch freestyle snowboarding in the Winter Olympics when I get the time.”

Entertaining
Trista Brown, Senior
February 15, 2018

“I do look forward to watching the Olympics every year they are on, they are really entertaining and I like watching them. My favorite winter sport in the Olympics to watch would be snowboarding and figure skating. My family and I like to watch the Olympics. We all watch the opening ceremony when it’s on each year.”

Loves skiing
Joey Huang, Senior
February 16, 2018

“I do look forward to the Olympics every two years because it’s a chance to see the best athletes of the world compete. My favorite Winter Olympic sport has to be figure skating. I really appreciate the aesthetic experience combined with technical challenges. I would participate in skiing because skiing is my favorite sport and it’s the only thing I am confident in competing.

“Kim Yuna from South Korea and Tony Harding from the U.S. are the athletes that I really liked. They are both figure skating gold medalists and have both retired. I think the U.S. has the advantage of winning with all the strong athletes on the team. I don’t really have a preference, there are events that I like in both.”

Not enough time to watch
Brayden Iest, Freshman
February 20, 2018

“I don’t usually watch the Winter Olympics. I never know what time they are on and I’m usually really busy with school and sports. Although, during the Summer Olympics I have more time to watch the games.”

Enjoys ice skating
Sophia Kalugin, Junior
February 15, 2018

“I always look forward to the olympics because I enjoy watching all the unusual and various sports. My favorite Olympic Winter sport is probably ice skating, especially the pairs event. My favorite winter olympic athlete is Apolo Ohno, but he isn’t competing this year. I think that Norway or the US will do the best this year. I prefer the summer olympics because there are more sports to watch.”

Prefers summer over winter
Avery Jones, Sophomore
February 15, 2018

[/media-credit] The 2020 Winter Olympics will be held in Tokyo, Japan. 

“I definitely look forward to the Olympics, not just the winter but summer as well. I love watching all the different events. My favorite winter Olympic sport is probably both the men and women’s snowboarding. Shaun White is a super awesome snowboarder, it was fun to watch him win gold on the half pipe. I hope that the USA can continue to gain more medals in this Olympics because I think we are in 5th right now overall. I prefer summer because it has all of my favorite sports like soccer, track and gymnastics.”

Would rather spend time with friends
Andy Liu, Senior
February 20, 2018

“I do not watch the Olympics because I would rather spend time with my friends and I don’t have time to watch the Olympics. I don’t watch the Summer Olympics either. I would rather travel in the summer time than watch the Olympics.”

Olympics are boring
Reece Trevino, Junior
February 19, 2018

“I don’t watch the Olympics because they are boring. I don’t know if there is really anything they can add to it to make it more exciting. I do, on occasion, watch the Summer Olympics. I like watching the American basketball team.”

For more join the discussions, read Join the discussion: Life choices define character and Join the Discussion: Campus weighs in on news engagement

Mariana Fikse can be reached via Twitter @mariana_fikse and via email: Mariana Fikse.

Alexander Rurik also contributed to this article.