Junior high hosts Medieval Market

From jesters, pubs, butcher and a royal court, the junior high Medieval Market is perhaps one of the most treasured school traditions.

The Medieval Market will be held March 30 during school hours. Junior high students will set up their booths and even hold a mini medieval ?church service? including a visit by Pope John XX1 played by George Freeman, dean of students. Cardinal Scott Falk will also make an appearance. The Medieval Market is a hand?s on experience.

The students make original and copies of marketplace items from medieval times. Items for sale include personal items like purses, sweetmeats, candles, soap and perfume, swords and shields, etc.

Even though junior highers host the event, high school students remain involved with the production of this event. Juniors Meghan Witters, Brittany Motte, and Kristen Jenkins and senior Matt Doyle are all helping out with the Medieval Market.

?There is a main purpose why the seventh graders are doing the Medieval Market,? Motte said. ?The main purpose is to give the seventh graders a chance to use the knowledge they learn in history class.?

Witters have been helping out with the Medieval Market along with Motte for four years. They have even influenced some of the workers to join the festivities.

?I have been participating in the Medieval Market since my freshman year because Brittany asked me to,? Witters said. ?I am going to help the kids set up their booths and tell them when their breaks are.?

This is Jenkins? and Doyle?s first year participating in Medieval Market. There reasons on helping out are very different.

?This year Mrs. (Terry) Edmunds ask me to help out with the Medieval Market,? Jenkins said. ?I also think it will be fun helping out the kids.?

This year King Edward will be played by Michael Wilson and his lovely Queen Eleanor played by Lizzy Bolduc.

“My students have been working on this project for a month now,” Lady Edmunds said. “They are learning what life was like the 1270s this year and I think they have a good chance to remember it because they are acting it out.”

Doyle is going to be a son of Lady Edmunds on Medieval Market day and will also help set up booths. He is also going to be a knight and bring a horse, but his reasoning for participating does not seems self influenced.

?I decided to help out the Medieval Market this year,? Doyle said. ?I am doing it mainly for my girl friend.?

Along with Doyle, Motte, Witters and Jenkins are also going to be children of lady Edmund on Medieval Market day.

For more information regarding the Medieval Market, contact Edmunds at 299-1695, ext. 154.