BREAKING: Final cheer competition, March 10

Experienced team seeks victory in CIF Central Section Championships

Fresno Christian Varsity Cheer participates in the CIF Central Section Championships at Buchanan High SchoolMarch 10. The team competes at 2:16 p.m., but times are subject to slight changes. In Division II, they will go head-to-head with Clovis West, Bullard, Clovis North, and Tulare Western Cheer and Dance Championships.

[/media-credit] Cheer won first in their division at the Clovis West Pep and Cheer Showcase, Feb. 10.

Senior Lauryn Tucker reflects on this competition season and looks forward to her performance.

“This season I had to step up as one of the captains on the team,” Tucker said. “Being put in a leadership role made me take this year more seriously and cherish every moment. I’ve made so many memories with my teammates. There’s not just one I could choose. I am very sad that this is my last competition but I am so excited to finish this year off strong!”

She shares her advice for the underclassmen on the team.

“Be ready to work every day and be passionate about everything that you do.”

The team hopes to top last year’s award of third place when the teams move on into the second round of competition. After performing the routine once, the top three teams compete again for a CIF plaque, hats, and medals that come with the first prize.

Junior Amanda Grimmius shares the differences between competition and her excitement for next year.

“CIF is different in a few different ways,” Grimmius said. “For example, there are many more teams competing in this competition than ones we’ve competed in the past. CIF is sort of like ‘playoffs’ in the cheer world. Almost everyone in the Central Valley area competes here.This season, we’ve definitely had more setbacks and obstacles to overcome. It’s been a hard season, but this is the team that can handle it and perseveres. I like the difficulty of this routine. It’s challenging, but not impossible. It’s well choreographed and fun to perform. Knowing I’ll be leading the team next year, I’m very excited. It’s a big responsibility, but I can’t wait for the challenge.”

[/media-credit] The next competition for varsity will be at Buchanan High School at 2:16 p.m., March 10.

The routine will be judged on a variety of criteria, including the difficulty of stunts and tumbling, execution of jumps and pyramids, and even crowd involvement. The full list can be found here.

Assistant coach and alumna Rayna Endicott talks about her expectations for the team and the priority for this competition.

“With it being our final and biggest competition my hope is that all of the girls are able to leave it all on the mat,” Endicott said. “For the seniors, this may be the last time in uniform for some of them and I want them to have a strong performance where the team gives it absolutely everything they have. FC cheer has the absolute ability to ‘wow’ us every time they take the competition floor. And my hope is that Saturday is no exception.

“They’ve been working hard all year and it’s time to show the valley that,” Endicott continued. “I expect the team to give it everything they have for those 2 minutes and 30 seconds, and I have no doubt they will make us proud and represent our school so well like they always do.”

Join the varsity cheer team as they compete at Buchanan High School on March 10. They take the mat around 2:16 p.m. Come support!

For more article on cheer, read Behind the Bow: Journalists join cheer practice, share experience. For more articles read Silent Sacrifice: ValleyPBS documentary exposes truth of the past.

This author can be reached via email.